AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

adwords allows phishing sites

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It's been almost a week now since i detected one ad appearing all day long.

I have reported this to adwords to google phishing to phishtank and so on.

This is the ad and you will find it by entering the search term "Blockchain"

Display link is www.blockchain.com/wallet/login which does not even exist on that site. 

Now click url is all the time a shortened bit.ly link which goes to the phishing site which changes all the time.

How is that even possible?

Every time i reported the actions were taken after 3-4 hours time in which the link of course changed.

This is a direct phishing attack to Blockchain site which is a bitcoin wallet.

Thank you ADWORDS for allowing such ads but please suspend all new accounts that missed to put a comma in their footer! incredible

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: adwords allows phishing sites

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Well, I see the display link "blockchain.info"
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
did you looked at the screenshot i put? also did you run a google search for the term?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Oh... I looked at the bottom ad;
Your link seems to be removed - I get a 404 - not found - error
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
i think you should re-read the topic.you didn't got my point.
There is an ad in which the display url does not exist and the click url is a shortened link using bit.ly service.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
To avoid further confusion, please circle in red and point (using an arrow) the ad in question, and the display URL which is missing.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Arlene,

First, display URLs used in ads do not have to actually exist on a site. They are just meant for display purposes.

Secondly, in doing some searches (here in US), I'm not seeing any ads for searches related to blockchain - not from blockchain.com nor blockchain.info.

I also visited the blockchain.com website and everything appears to be normal there.

Occasionally, AdWords accounts can be compromised and folks will have their ads pointing to odd places without their knowledge. The other side is perhaps there was something fishy happening and perhaps it's been addressed by Google. It's hard to say.

Are you still seeing these ads and experiencing the same problem?

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm amazed that google continually is taking paying ads from obvious phishing "typosquatter" sites and has no rapid removal or reporting process. Some sites get reported as phishing, yet the site (and google adwords) remain. Reporting to hosting companies just causes the phishing site to move to a new host.

While I don't believe google actively encourage phishing scammers, they certainly do not appear to

A) due any sort of obvious due diligence when approving misspelled domain ads
B) offer any sort of direct abuse reporting of the ad themselves with a time to removal