AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

adwords account suspended for "Policy issue: Counterfeit goods"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My adwords account was suspended for  "Policy issue: Counterfeit goods"

This is very mysterious. Since we're not selling counterfeit goods, I suspect something else could be wrong. I created two ads. One pointed to rosetta.insilicos.com and the other pointed to rosetta.insilicos.com/products/sparks-x/

The only weird things I can think of are:

- The email domain of the adwords campaign is not the same domain as the site, but that shouldn't be so unusual.

- We host the parent domain insilicos.com, but the subdomain rosetta.insilicos.com is hosted by Wordpress. (Long story.)  But that's handled at the DNS level, not with a redirect, and that should also not be so unusual.

- The domain rosettaatcloud.com redirects to rosetta.insilicos.com. This might be a little weirder, but I wouldn't think it's very unusual either. Also, none of our ads mention rosettaatcloud.com anyway.

- There are many products named "Rosetta." This software is over ten years old. There used to be a company Rosetta Inpharmatics, but they no longer exist. There is some company that makes language software, but they are in a a totally different field.

The message I get suggests I am supposed to make changes to my site, but I don't even know where to start, since I am not at all sure that I have identified the problem, let along what I should do about it.

Maybe it's just a bug? Any suggestions?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: adwords account suspended for "Policy issue: Counterfeit good

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Can you post the website URL?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe,

Sure, I can post the URls again. I put up two ads at the same time for two related but different products. Each ad went to a slightly different URL. The two URLs are:

http://rosetta.insilicos.com/

and

http://rosetta.insilicos.com/products/sparks-x/

Thanks for writing!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

OK;

Please copy / paste here the suspension email received from Google;
Do not include any personal info (e.g. Email, CID...)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Moshe,

See below. Thanks!

I am increasingly suspicious that the problem is the word Rosetta. Apparently this company Rosetta Stone sued Google a few years back, so maybe that word is some kind of red flag? But we have a legal trademark to Rosetta for protein structure prediction and we're not selling counterfeit goods.

-Erik

Hello AdWords Advertiser,

Your AdWords account has been suspended because it doesn't comply with our Advertising Policies and our AdWords Terms and Conditions. Please note that this means your account and any related accounts have been suspended, you can't create any new accounts, and your ads will no longer run on Google, our search partners, or on Display Network placements.

If this is an error, we want to get your account back up and running as quickly as possible, and your Google team is here to help. Here's the account:

Customer ID: X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶

To learn more about AdWords suspension policies, please visit
X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶

If you have a prepaid balance remaining in your account, you can request a refund at any time by following the instructions at X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶

This message was sent from a notification-only email address that doesn't accept incoming email. Please do not reply to this message. If you'd like to reach us, you can contact us through the methods described at X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶

Sincerely,
The Google AdWords Team

------------------------
Your AdWords account number: X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶X̶

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

OK;

I did not see it the email a reference to violation of "counterfeit goods" - how do you know that you were suspended due to this section of the Policy?

I also found Rosetta genomics. - In a similar field to yours. Are those two companies linked?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Rosetta Genomics is not related to Rosetta@cloud. They are in different fields. Rosetta Genomics is a molecular diagnostics company. The Rosetta software we licensed is for protein structure prediction. In any case, the Rosetta software is about 15 years old, which I think predates the founding of Rosetta Genomics.

Oops. I sent you the second message we got. The first one mentioned counterfeit goods. Here it is:

Customer ID: XXXXXXXXXXX

Hello,

We wanted to alert you that one of your sites violates our advertising policies. Therefore, we won't be able to run any of your ads that link to that site, and any new ads pointing to that site will also be disapproved.

Here's what you can do to fix your site and hopefully get your ad running again:

1. Make the necessary changes to your site that currently violates our policies:

Display URL: insilicos.com

Policy issue: Counterfeit goods
     Details & instructions: XXXXXXXXXXX

2. Resubmit your site to us, following the instructions in the link above. If your site complies with our policies, we can approve it to start running again.

Repeated violations of our advertising policies could result in a suspension of your AdWords account, so it's important to address any issues as soon as possible by reviewing our policies. To learn more about AdWords suspension policies, please visit XXXXXXXXXXX

Sincerely,
The Google AdWords Team

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

However, we just got the following email:

Hello,

Great news! We've re-reviewed your site and determined that the following site complies with our Advertising Policies:

So I think I'm good now. Thanks for your help!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Well...It seems that one of the bots got confused and triggered a suspension, and when a human reviewer looked into the case he found the site in compliance;

Glad to hear that!