AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

ad text contains trademarked term

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We have been running ads containing a trademarked term for a long time now (on behalf of the trademarked company) but recently some of the campaigns seem to have fallen off a cliff in terms of performance, many going to 0 impressions from 20-30k a day. I can't say definitively if this is to do with the trademark term but the ad groups seem to pickup when I remove the trademarked term - has anyone else seen this behaviour before?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Richard, it's strange that the performance is going down when you remove the trademarked terms, ideally it shouldn't. We are allowed to trademark words/keywords to safeguard our genuine work.

Try doing the following -

1. Check in the keyword planner if the trademarked term is still popular and being searched for by users. If it's a niche product then you might have to first do a campaign to raise awareness following which you can run one for lead generation.

2. See if there is a competitor with another unique term for the same service/product

3. Check your Match type - If you are using exact match then switch to broad modifier and if you are already using broad modifier then switch to broad type to test the reach of the trademarked keyword(s).

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Amanbir,

Performance isn't going down when we remove the terms it seems to be going up - the issue is that for around a year performance was good and then in December fell to 0, the only thing that seems to restore some performance is to remove the trademark term from the ads

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Richard, I wrote incorrectly, but I have suggested those things keeping in mind that your performance is going up on removing the trademarked terms.

Another thing you can do is -

Revise the ad copies. In which part are you currently using the trademarked term? Avoid it in the Headline, instead use it either in paths or description (or both).

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

To me it sounds as a seasonal  issue of performance decline  at the end of the year  due to competitors bid more aggressively and increase budget.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

bids are first page/top of page - also doesn't seem likely to have 15k impressions one day and then be outbid on all terms to such an extent that I get 0 the next

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

For those interested in the resolution - got in touch with Google who approved the ads, not sure what was going on but they immediately started producing the same sort of traffic they were prior to issues.