AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Your Advice on Adwords & Ebooks......

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All:

I wanted to ask your help/advice around Adwords and their policies, esp. user safety, because my site was banned a few months ago.

I'm trying to get it back in Google's gracesso I figured I'd reach out and ask the pros. ^^

The main thing I'm trying to figure out is how to model my business.  They've told me you can't give an ebook or download or anything in exchange for an email address (i.e. email harvesting) ...... what would you recommend I do to build my email list??  

I'm very confused because I've seen people offer ebooks and such, but I'm guessing since I am on their bad list they are watching me closer...

My website is www.restaurantmanagementblueprint.com

Thank you,

Jerome

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Your Advice on Adwords & Ebooks......

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hey Jerome,

Please look at the information harvesting policy page - http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=190438

On that page,we have listed a few examples(and a video) to illustrate what are good and bad examples of advertisers specifically around the information harvesting policy. Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

In short, Jerome, if you want to build a loyal subscriber database you need to have a website that attracts loyal subscribers by being of interest or of use, not simply by offering a free gift.  You will, of course, have to be careful what you do with the addresses of these subscribers.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello; welcome;

The business model you are trying to advertise (email; business info; ,,, in exchange for free gifts) is prohibited by the Policy.

If a site promoting this practice was not detected by Google's bot; it should be reported. This practice is NOT allowed.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Moshe thanks for the welcome and the clear black and white response that helps a lot.

It seems I was pointed to the wrong websites to use as a benchmark Smiley Happy

I guess I'm asking business advice at this point.  I'm trying to find out what works best to build a loyal subscriber email base and is accepted by Google.

Does anyone have any good examples of what Adwords advertisers(that are Not violating policy) are using as "landing pages?"

Thanks!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hey Jerome,

Please look at the information harvesting policy page - http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=190438

On that page,we have listed a few examples(and a video) to illustrate what are good and bad examples of advertisers specifically around the information harvesting policy. Hope that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There's some bs answers here.

I believe that this is not allowed ONLY as long as that is the sole purpose of the site.

I think if you are providing content on our landing page then I don't see why you should be getting banned.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I point you all to this:

"Collecting personally identifiable information  Allowed with limitations Google allows sites that collect personally identifiable information from users as long as this is not the primary purpose of the site."

As long as that is not the sole purpose of the site.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

In short, Jerome, if you want to build a loyal subscriber database you need to have a website that attracts loyal subscribers by being of interest or of use, not simply by offering a free gift.  You will, of course, have to be careful what you do with the addresses of these subscribers.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Joshua thank you for the response and that video did help explain.  would you happen to have any videos of websites that are using email marketing within policy?

@wisdomoto thanks for your input, that is exactly what I thought as well, but apparently not.  I contacted Adwords support and even if with good content and the "email box" was on a sidebar or even different page than the landing page it is not acceptable if you are offering an incentive to enter the email.

@Cobnut  great point thank you.  so it sounds like i have to say something like "to stay updated on the latest blog posts, videos and ebooks subscribe here"   I just can't mention a specific name of a video/ebook? or maybe "Join our list for the latest webinars"  I just can't mention a specific name of a webinar?   .......     good point on email marketing too I use Aweber so I keep high standards and make it very easy to unsubscribe.  My practices on email marketing revolve around creating value and loyalty.  Curious what aren't you allowed to do with the emails?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Also, just a thought, are "Free Memberships" allowed?

i.e. If they signup for our free membership they get access to a members area with content? 

I've seen a few of those Advertising, but I wasn't sure if they were within policy...

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

I think the key question here Jerome is why do you want a list of subscribers?  What do you intend to do with these email addresses once you collect them?

Jon