AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Would This Be Double Serving?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello.

I have a client who is a real estate agent and a franchisee with a large brokerage, RE/MAX. The brokerage provides him a website within a subdomain of RE/MAX, e.g. "agentname.remax.com." Can we point an Adwords campaign to his subdomain with no worries of double serving (or breaking any other rules) even if other RE/MAX agents may be running their own campaigns, targeting the same keywords, and in the same location?

Thanks in advance.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Norm H
September 2015

Re: Would This Be Double Serving?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
The REMAX model is one which works on very tight geo areas - at least in my experience - so the advertiser is going to be most effective when targeting their own area's keywords, which means that their keywords should not compete (in this case) but it is clear that there are going to be a number more generic keywords that they will use to capture the impressions and then hope that their ad copy will do the more precise selection - so the keyword might be property in city y - and the ad copy might be property in suburb x.... in this case there are going to be any number of REMAX offices using the same keyword.

The important point here though is that the billing addresses and payment details will be different since each franchisee will be running their own campaigns. One thing they should be aware of is that they will be competing with other REMAX offices in their area on these overlapping keywords and this will push up the prices. Where possible they should try and come to some kind of internal agreement to keep the number of common keywords to a minimum... but then, they are real estate agents ;-)

The situation might get flagged but I would not anticipate any violation issues once it was reviewed. It is a very common business model.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Norm H,

Welcome to AdWords Community.

This is a good question. I came across a similar thread and I showed the same concern. 

Let me request some TC's to share their views here. 

Pinging.... @MosheTLV @Jon_Gritton @stickleback 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

We cannot answer  for sure without seeing the SERP and understanding the business structure; but generally speaking, since a "franchise" is a "business entity" by its own, owned by the franchisee,  - the answer would be:  no violation.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Thank you so much for responding to the Ping Moshe. I really appreciate it. 

To the question, there's definitely a thin line between a franchise and an affiliate in such a case. I know an affiliate is a different thing, but if a business model gives all its affiliates a dedicated subdomain on their website and starts calling them franchises instead of affiliates, they are good to go advertising without being questioned about double-serving? After all, even franchise would be doing the same as affiliates, but indirectly. 

One more question pops up to me - does Google require any document in support of their franchise status to the root company?

Your views will be great additions here. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Norm H
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
The REMAX model is one which works on very tight geo areas - at least in my experience - so the advertiser is going to be most effective when targeting their own area's keywords, which means that their keywords should not compete (in this case) but it is clear that there are going to be a number more generic keywords that they will use to capture the impressions and then hope that their ad copy will do the more precise selection - so the keyword might be property in city y - and the ad copy might be property in suburb x.... in this case there are going to be any number of REMAX offices using the same keyword.

The important point here though is that the billing addresses and payment details will be different since each franchisee will be running their own campaigns. One thing they should be aware of is that they will be competing with other REMAX offices in their area on these overlapping keywords and this will push up the prices. Where possible they should try and come to some kind of internal agreement to keep the number of common keywords to a minimum... but then, they are real estate agents ;-)

The situation might get flagged but I would not anticipate any violation issues once it was reviewed. It is a very common business model.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Ratan-Jha ;

Affiliates and franchises are not the same business model. While a franchise owns the business and sell the products / service, affiliates refer  users to  a website to execute a purchase and get a commission. Members of the affiliate network do not sell the product directly. (If they were, they would be resellers or distributors)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I already agreed with it Moshe. I could only sense a loophole which can be used to trick. Won't discuss more about it here. 

Thanks for sharing your valuable thoughts. 

@Norm H I believe you got the answer. Do let us know if you need more information.  

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. And thanks, Ratan-jha, for calling in the reinforcements!