AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Will '<br>' show up in my ads if it shows up in my ad preview?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Not sure that this is in the right section, but basically when I am writing content for a GSP advertisement, I enter a line break and instead of the break showing up, I see < br > (without the spaces of course). I know that < br > is the html for a line break but my understanding was that what I see in the ad preview is what will show up to the customer. Is this incorrect and do they actually see the break?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Will '&lt;br&gt;' show up in my ads if it shows up in my ad preview?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Luke W,

Gmail Sponsored Promotions (GSP) ads will show to consumers what is shown to you in the preview. You do not use HTML markup with ad copy. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your response. The problem is that when I hit shift + enter, the <br> automatically appears in the ad preview, even though I did not type <br>. 

What can be done to create line breaks?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Luke W,

Try writing the ad as you would a word document and not a website. Google handles all coding (formatting) for their ads. It would be quite the mess if they allowed users to inject hyper text markup language into their systems. 

Kind Regards,

James

Re: Will '&lt;br&gt;' show up in my ads if it shows up in my ad preview?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@J Clemens 

am not entering any html whatsoever. When I press the SHIFT key and the ENTER key at the same time in order to create a line break in my copy, Google takes this input and reflects <br><br> in the Ad Preview. What I am wondering about is, does the person the ad is being delivered to reflect the messy Ad Preview version, or the intended version?

I have attached the following image to make my issue even more clear:

Capture.PNG
Thanks

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Luke W,

Thanks for the screenshot and additional info. 

Please try to create the ad without using shift + enter... or another other short keys. Simply write the ad out and allow Google to line break it as it wants. There should be no line breaks at all. You have to remember the ad will be served to many screen sizes, browser types, operating systems, etc.. and Google will handle all of that for you.  

Give that a try and then see what your preview looks like. What you see in your preview is what consumers will see... and ads that do not comply with structure will not be approved or used. 

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks again for your reply. So just to be clear, if I want there to be a line break there because I am trying to create something with bullet points, that is not possible?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Luke W,

You are welcome.

No, you cannot add a series of line breaks and bullet points. Your ad should look the same as this sentence that I am writing to reply to you and nothing more.

Kind Regards,

James