AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Will Domains Influence Your Account For Lifetime?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I read many threads about Adwords site suspensions leading to account suspensions and I got pretty scared and confused, so I’m hoping to get some clarification here.

Once you create an ad for a domain, will that domain influence your account for the rest of your life?

Please let me know if my understanding is correct: no matter if you paused and removed all campaigns, groups and ads landing to a domain, such domain will always be an active part of your adwords account forever subject to adwords review/policy control, thus leading to a lifetime risk of account suspension?

That also means I could never leave a domain or sell my website to another company anytime in the future because I could not be 100% sure if they will always comply present or future adwords policy?

Life is change, it’s hard to think in terms of lifetime projects. If for any reason the user decide that doesn’t want to advertise a domain anymore in the future, I can’t understand why adwords should not allow to do it, without demanding lifetime policy compliant in order to safely keep advertising other domains in your account.

I could not find any official adwords policy or guide on that matter, if that’s real I think they should clearly state before inserting any new domain in adwords or offer a way to official ask removal for it, maybe someone can chime in help understanding.

Thank you in advance

Edited: corrected typos

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Will Domains Influence Your Account For Lifetime?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

generally, the policy relates to a suspension.

if a suspension is due to an issue associated the website
promoted within your ad then the policies simply state:
"make the necessary changes to your website in order to fix the policy issue."

there is no other stated recourse such as remove, abandon,
or otherwise disavow, the associated site -- there is only fix.

as a consequence, google typically will also not accept any
arguments along the lines that the site is no longer yours.

such a suspension simply remains until the site is changed to fix the issue.

generally, there should be no issue with selling the
website if there is never an associated suspension.

that said, there are some policy violations that google considers
so serious that they can decide never to accept advertising from
a specific advertiser and suspend the ability to participate in the
program, or reject or remove a specific ad or target, at any time,
for any or no reason -- this is purely at google's discretion and
generally part of the the terms-of-service that is accepted when
an account is created.

https://support.google.com/adwords/topic/3119075

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Adding to @Celebird 's reply; Generally speaking, you are correct:

Unless the URL is fixed, it cannot be promoted on Google, and whoever tries to promote it, will be banned. (In addition to the original user who initially  had been banned)

So, advertisers are advised to carefully check (as much as they can)  the history of a URL before purchasing it.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you both for your help, unfortunately your answers are pretty much confirming my worries.

You are correct, the point is about website suspensions for non promoted sites that were compliant at the time of promotion, when they are enforced and what they lead to.

Yes, you could even check the past but it's much harder predict future, if you can’t maintain some sites anymore or if you ever leave/sell some domains, you really can’t be sure if they will be forever compliant. That’s a fact.

Also if policy get updated like recently happened, some websites could not become noncompliant and it’s not always possibile to fix them or maintain compliant. That's another fact that also happened to me.

I still find hard to understand why you should get chased for the rest of your life and risk whole account punishment for a domain that you don’t want or can’t advertise anymore even if when you stopped promoting it was compliant.

Sure I know that they can do whatever they want, but I always thought Google was pretty fair in the end and would not penalize honest advertisers, I think adwords should consider cases like them and provide a reliable option for the advertiser to solve them.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Cody;

You're raising an important point:

>>>"I still find hard to understand why you should get chased for the rest of your life and risk whole account punishment for a domain that you don’t want or can’t advertise anymore even if when you stopped promoting it was compliant."

Well... This is part of the Google's view / approach of trying  and make   the internet as safer places. (As much as Google has control or ability). Adversaries should have responsibility for their actions on the web.

You could argue about this approach / concept - however, this is how Google sees it....

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’