AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Why was my remarketing list disabled?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I only have 2 remarketing lists on my client's account. They have 2 different domains, but are the same business (just a North & South location). I created a general remarketing list for those who visited the North site and a general remarketing list for those who visited the South site.

I haven't begun running campaigns with these yet, but after a few weeks of the audience being live, my North visitor audience was disabled due to policy violation.

This client is a medical client (they do x-rays & imaging exams), but these audiences were only going to be fed ads that were very generic branding ads. I didn't even create a campaign yet! Does anyone have any idea why only 1 site retargeting audience was disabled and what was wrong?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Re-marketing that might reveal, or even imply, a medical condition is not allowed and the list is disabled. (Searching or being targeted by medical imaging service reveals a potential medical condition)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This isn't allowed even to do very general remarketing? How does Google know what the campaign will be inferring without even seeing the ad?

And is the only way to market a medical company to do display advertising and never touch remarketing?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Well... You would agree that promoting any medical device or service, whether an operation, a medical test or even a medical device (as monitoring  sugar level or blood pressure) does imply a medical condition. Google is very strict enforcing this Policy.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Honestly, I don't agree with that. I understand where they're coming from, but I do think there are exceptions to every case and they make it very difficult to request a personal review.

Setting that aside, what is your advice moving forward? How can I best use display ads without going against Google's policy?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Fathom Analytic;

No exceptions, no waivers.  The same also applies to law firms promoting services which could reveal a personal legal status.

What targeting methods do you use in your main display campaign?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Melissa,

Disabling remarketing lists is based on your website, not the content of the ads. In my experience every health-related site, that can in any way imply a medical condition, has remarketing disabled. The only exception would be a site that promotes general good health, like yoga for example.

The reasoning: if someone else uses your PC/tablet/phone to browse the web, and repeatedly sees an ad for a medical service, they could deduce a condition you have. That is something that Google could, potentially, get sued for. 

Although AdWords dominates search engine marketing, there are many other large providers of display advertising, and remarketing, that don't have policies as strict as Google's.