AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Why still blocked access from Myanmar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why is it still not possible to access ones adwords account from Myanmar?. Google has accepted my ads which clearly show that it is for travel in Myanmar. I am also regularly asked me to fill up my account, but since I am only able to get access to the account and pay when my computer is located outside the country, my ads stop to run for long periods at a time and hurting my business.

The answer I have received up to now from Google, is that it cannot be changed as long as Myanmar still appears on the official US "blacklist" together with Iran and a few other countries. But this fact is only due to the slow process through the US political and legal system to distangle certain sanctions from various laws. USA is now very much engaged in this country, both politically and financially. Coca Cola and other US companies are here, their billboards already showing in Yangon.   President Obama and Hillary Clinton have visited and are praising the democratic development. Even the Google CEO himself was here.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why still blocked access from Myanmar

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Astri,
As someone who has spent some time in Myanmar, I can relate. Such a beautiful country with some of the most amazing people I have ever met. I visited about 8 years ago when there was VERY FEW tourists and I can see how the "blacklisting" has impacted the country.

Now, I don't work for Google so please understand that, but I can tell you for sure that there is no way that you can push Google to move this along. It will probably be very many more years before there is actual regime change in Burma/Myanmar. The country isn't really that large either so there's no huge push for businesses to move in as they haven't got a large potential market at steak.

Unfortunately, you'll have to keep moving back and forth to Thailand to continue with this. Alternatively, if it's a successful account you have (and I would commend you for that considering your circumstances) you could get your AdWords advertising done by a third party agency that charge you direct (although these are less and less common).

Sorry I could not be of more assistance. Best of luck.