AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Why should I delete my website?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Dear All,

I am somewhat at my wits ends with efforts to reinstate my adwords account which has gone on for months now. It really feels like I have jumped through hoops with numerous phone calls and requests for review, only to find out that more and more issues are raised... At times it feels like I am going in circles with resolving issues and thereafter the same policy violation raised when I was imformed that it was okay previously...I have documented all my changes which now amounts to almost 70 pages of screenshots and detailed explanations... In sum its pandora's box...

Cutting the long story short - I've now been informed that all my changes made to my websites meets all of the polices - however given that the websites product which I am promoting has now been deemed to be also  violating policies my account remains suspended... What really gets to me is that a few weeks ago there were a few other websites promoting these products and almost overnight these ads have been removed. Is this a coincidence?

I've put in so much time and effort, lost numerous hours which could of been used elsewhere and as such loss of income amounting to more than two months. Given that I have demonstrated considerable efforts to meet Google's policies one would assume that by deleting the ads/campaigns it is sufficient to allow for Adwords account re-instatement given that the changes applied to the websites meets policies (other than the fact it promotes a product whereby the product website is now stated to be in violation). That however is not the case and it seems the only thing I can do is to basically delete my entire website with replacing it with a placeholder page...It makes me wonder how many websites and ads would be left if this level of scrutiny would be applied to all of the ads on Google... Not many I am sure...

What really gets to me is that if one does a search on the product you will find hundreds of websites listed on the organic search results - knowing what I know now about Adwords polices there are all in violation... Is it really fair that these websites are displayed on the SERPS where as I have to delete my website???

Surely the best course of action would be to accept the removal of the ad without the necessity for such invasive action noting as I emphasized my websites are in accordance with Adwords policies... For example it has so many disclaimers, disclosures etc... Its insane.... The amount of times I have had to changes videos, text etc is crazy.... and now to be told that all my efforts to date is tantamount to an excercise in futility....  and now I have to delete months of solid work down the toilet???

I thought Google's motto is "do no evil"? Surely being forced to delete compliant websites with months of hardwork wasted is the opposite to what Google aspires to???

Surely common sense should prevail in such cases... Does Google really want to alienate and destroy peoples livelihoods with such extreme measures?

Any comments or guidance would be most appreciated... Especially if my account can be re-insated without the necessity to delete months and months of work.. Right now it looks like I have no choice...

Thank you Google!!! Thanks a bunch.

Sid

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why should I delete my website?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Just to add the websites are:

[EDIT - I have removed the links now as I wish to retain some level of anonimity]

You'll note that I have made significant efforts wrt user safety which is the reason cited for suspending my account... I have disclaimers, disclosures all over the place... Its really sad that I have to delete all of my hard work... It makes me wonder should I even bother with Adwords given the amount of time and energy put into this...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I agree with Google. Your business model violates the user safety section of the Policy and the advertiser claims section.
This business model cannot be promoted on Google
My opinion: stop putting time trying to fix the site. The root cause is the business model, which cannot be advertised.

Sorry!

[Edit]: a clarification: an affiliate site is allowed. However, the content of the affiliate site must have an added value to the user and fully comply with the Policy. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Moshe -

Well I'm afraid I have to disagree with you 100%.

There is no where within Google's policies which prohibits affiliate marketing... The business model is sound and does not violate any policies at all... Further this has never been cited as a reason!!!!

As you do not work for Google it is impossible for you to know the reasons hence your speculation.. But be assured that is not the case!!! Further you will find thousands of websites advertising on Google with affiliate marketing in a similar way with regards to bonuses...

The reason cited now is that the product''s website is in violation and NOT MY WEBSITE!!!

In fact I have been informed my website now meets all criteria after months of jumping through hoops to implement changes....

The crazy thing is that a few days ago there where other websites on Google Ads promoting the same products... and now removed...

The blunt advice that I have received is that I must delete my website with replacing all content with a sanitized place holder...

My view is that given I have demonstrated efforts to fix and reach compliancy then surely my account should be reactivated with removal of the ad and website from the account and not deletion of the website... Deleting the website in my mind is going too far... Whats next - is Google going to delete all the other websites from the organic SERP which promotes the same product?? I don't think so...

Moshe - I have a lot of respect for you given your contributions here - but please realize in this case you've most definitely got the wrong end of the stick...

How about standing up for the little guy... I might only be a tiny little ant in the grand scheme of things when it comes to how big G is... But its those ants that made Big G in the first place!

C'mon - I know deep down you know I'm right.... ;-)

Cheers,

Sid

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Moshe -

I agree with your edit.. Nothing unusual or surprising about that... Regarding the added value to user I have gone to considerable lengths to provide a review of the product with even citing reasons not to buy it!!!

As I keep mentioning I have been informed my website is compliant and after months making changes as per details which I stated on these posts (for clarity for others whom may read this post):

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/Understanding-Advertiser-Account-Suspensi...

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/Fixing-Suspended-Site-quot-User-Safety-qu...

As I keep mentioning over and over again, all that I am asking is to be treated fairly and that the request to delete my website crosses boundaries which is clearly unethical for all to see and very much goes against Google's own words being "don't be evil"....

Respectfully,

Sid

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

[UPDATE]

As I have spent months working diligently implementing change after change with provision of meticulous documentation amouting to approx. 70 pages in support to the review process I have decided to delete the websites as requested. The reasons for this are:

1) Since account suspension I have worked hard to understand and implement all of the rules with advice and feedback given from the Adwords support team. The result of which was that my changes resulted in a compliant website and with that gaining of much greater understanding, especially with regards to future activities.

2) I also realize one must be very careful as to which products to promote, regardless if there are current websites promoting this on Adwords. Mistakes do happen and I am sure eventually these websites will get caught out. As proof of my commitment to adhere to this is the very fact that I have gone ahead and deleted my websites and with that months of work wasted with the hope that these lessons learned will not be for nothing with re-instatement of my Adwords account.

I will provide an update accordingly for all concerned on this forum as to the outcome of this request for review for re-instatement of my account.

Respectfully,

Sid

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sid A
November 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
[UPDATE]

Finally I got my account unsuspended!!! :-)))

Since my last message further work was required in order to get re-instated. Basically I had to re-develop the website so that it was monetized even though I mentioned that I have no intention of promoting it given that the websites in question is now 100% different to that when I started out e.g. different business model etc.

In sum it was a lot of work to achieve this end outcome... If anything I have learned the hard way regarding the policies and my understanding is so much better...

On that note I am sure that if you have been suspended it is indeed possible to get your account back... That is if you are prepared to spend a lot of time on it and prepared to completely change your website as in my case which resulted in it being deleted, redeveloped to something else entirely which in the end was not worth promoting..

This entire experience has influenced me to adopt a different business model all together which for some may not be an option...