AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Why is double serving never dealt with?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why does double serving never get dealt with despite multiple submissions of the form on the support centre?

In Spain we have the ads from the following competitors:
https://www.google.es/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwi8ioGWw5bQAhWXFtMKHffYAbgYABAG&ei=RWMgWLL6DsiGaMiQmLAP&sig...

https://www.google.es/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwi8ioGWw5bQAhWXFtMKHffYAbgYABAK&ei=RWMgWLL6DsiGaMiQmLAP&sig...

It takes 3 seconds on the about us pages to see these 2 brands are run under the same business.
http://www.lentes-de-contacto.es/sobre-nosotros.html
http://www.lentes-shop.es/sobre-nosotros.html

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jack P

Running the same brand does not necessarily mean that it is promoted by the same business. Different businesses can promote the same brand, if they are authorized to do so.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @MosheTLV,

Thanks for your reply,

If I am not wrong, this is a case of 2 websites (sorry not brands) operating under the same company, hence having an unfair advantage.

Every time we report them via the form we hear nothing and nothing changes.

Seems like a very unfair auction and causes CPCs to rocket. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Well.. then show google in your complaint that this is indeed the same business entity.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

That sure does look like a clear cut case of double serving... 

If one site only had product information, and the other site only processed orders, then they may be considered to provide different services, and therefore not be in violation. However, both sites are selling product, under the same company, with just a slightly different domain. 

Do you have a screen shot of both sites/display URL's showing an ad on the same SERP's? Without that, there's no way to prove double serving of ads. You can advertise multiple domains, just not with overlapping targeting, through two different AdWords accounts.

Tom

Re: Why is double serving never dealt with?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@Jack P

Hi! I also have the same issue when I report ads that violate the doubleserve policy. The problem is that Google is not really clear on how to understand this violation. From what I understand having an ad as a double served is called "gaining an unfair advantage." If you look at where this policy is listed here it states as an example:

Examples: Affiliates that advertise on AdWords against the applicable affiliate program rules, promoting the same or similar content from multiple accounts on the same or similar queries

So what will Google consider same or similar content? This is very hard to understand. In this blogpost it states this as explained by Google:

If you want to bid on the same keywords for two different sites for text ads on search, the sites must be 40% different.

How do you measure 40% difference?

As you see this is very very hard to understand this policy, therefore I think that giving feedback as detailed as @MosheTLV tells you to do is difficult. The policy is just not really well explained anywhere. I thins it is therefore unfair tto those who report what they believe are violations of this policy to be to blame for the ad not to be removed. Also the fact that Google never respond to any attempts you make to report such violations makes it even harder to understand.

I am sorry to say, but the system is sadly not meant to be easy for those businesses that in good intention report competition in the auction they think are violating the policies.

Also, with Googles resources and data they could easliy see if a company is violating this policy if they have the data in front of them, such as with your feedback. I think it is strange they just dismiss it if how you word the case is bad..

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom,

Yes we sent a screenshot that shows both websites selling the same product, identical pricing.

Jack