AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Why does Google not remove violating ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, why does Google not remove ad violations when they are made aware of them?

There are ads on Google right now that are clear violations (they are redirecting to different landing URL's), and are violating other policies too. Google has acknowledged to me that they are violations, but they have not removed them..

Why is this?

These violations increase the cost of the auction to legitimate advertisers by driving up CPC's..

Thanks

Dave

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why does Google not remove violating ads?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Dave S;

They are removed... But  it could take some time, and you would agree, though, that when the  number of (caught) bad ads approaches rapidly to 1 billion (780 million ads removed, only,  in 2015),  statistically, some  bad ads can "escape" the radar. Though the percentage could be low, the absolute numbers could be significant..
So, there cases in which and the advertiser has to submit the complaint several times.

Read this excellent post which provides data analysis about the fight against bad ads.

How we fought bad ads in 2015

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi MosheTLV,

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm sorry to say that they are not removed, and it has nothing to do with overload. It seems to be a systemic problem in the review and escalation process.

I can show you a handful of ads that are running right now that are violating. Google has been made aware of the ads, they have reviewed them, and they have allowed them to continue running. And we are talking months of violation reports here, conference calls, escalations, etc.

I appreciate that Google is fighting a battle here, but on the surface it looks like they are being beaten by these scammers.. In my experience (having been doing this for 7 years now) only around half of violating ads are removed in my market segment.

Hence my question, why doesn't Google remove them..?

Thanks
Dave

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Dave
How are you?

I totally agree with you, because I've seen some concerning things.
In the spanish AdWords community someone made a thread asking why his competition was allowed to double serve even if he reported them for 6 months. He gave the case number, someone from Google then replied that he reviewed the case and that something has been done, but he couldn't say anything about it because of privacy reasons.
So, this advertiser was allowed to keep double serving, and no one says why.
And I've seen more cases like this, so yes, I'm concerned.

Take care

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, it has me very worried about Google's future if they can't get a handle on this..

The more I investigate the more examples I see of this happening. In my space we have an advertiser triple serving to the top 3 positions, and they are violating other policies like landing page, and malicious redirections.

I've been on the phone to google, and have even done live screencasts demonstrating the issue to them.

I know the people at Google are not stupid, so it makes me wonder why they let these violations run. Surely they don't need the revenue that badly...

Keep well

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I'll have to be sincere here, but a lot of the actions on part of Google made me realize they don't care about client fidelity and long term revenue. They care about advertisers who spend a lot in a short time.
That's why they give so much advice which doesn't benefit the advertiser but Google. The Display network is one example of that. Spending the same amount of money on Facebook Ads gives you so much more results, and you can make it work with a little budget, something you can't on AdWords. Facebook bought a company that had a lot of data of "in market" users, so their segmentation algo is really sharp.
Instead, what we got on GDN is a lot of spammy and low quality sites which AdWords/AdSense don't filter at all.
I was who reported that some ads of one of my campaigns were displayed as a automated location on the biggest Google Analytics referral spam generator. It was exactly the same domain. Can you believe that?
Whatever type of filtering goes over there doesn't work properly at all.

I work 98% with AdWords and that is what I specialize in, but I see how expensive it is for my clients and I do realize that FB Ads could do so much better with the same or lower budget.
I'm worried for how much more it will last.

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Luan R;

I disagree. It's beyond our scope to "handle" specific cases, but I have seen enough cases to say that if  ads violate the  "gain unfair advantage" were not removed after reporting several times, then there was no violation.

I totally disagree that revenue is a concern. The policy enforcement team is independent, and revenue is not a concern. (And I have seen enough cases to be certain in this statement...)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Fair enough MosheTLV, I agree that revenue probably wouldn't be the cause here..

But, these violations do exists, and google does not remove them all. I can show you examples right now of multiple ads going to the same landing page. Google has refused to remove them.. This is a fact.. I can share with you privately if you want to see for yourself..

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@MosheTLV you do realize it's a contradiction, right?
"I disagree. It's beyond our scope to "handle" specific cases, but I have seen enough cases to say that if  ads violate the  "gain unfair advantage" were not removed after reporting several times, then there was no violation."

We do a research when we report, if the site has the same low quality domain, content, design and it is the same design, then it's the same company trying pass a different one to gain one more spot in the SERPs.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
My cynical side suspects that Google will probably bend the rules and allow clear policy violations to keep their top advertisers sweet.

Whilst at the same time banning sites and accounts for smaller advertisers for the slightest trivial infraction.