AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Why does Google disapprove common words as trademarks?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So my ads have been running for many, many years. As long as Google has been around. I use the same na,es as products we sell. Not a trademarked name. It is a THING. Sure someone named a car similiar to the name, but that still doesn't make the thing, any less of a thing, or something that should just randomly be disapproved.

WHy does Google do this and why don't they keep track of the last time this happened and prevent it from happening repeatedly? I do not want to keep wasting my time arging with them through emails that take forever to get returned.

Google is a necessity in any business on the web and lately i've been having some major problems. I merge an account and cannot access one account. Do you think I could just tell them that and get it fixed? - No after weeks of trying to tell them something got screwe up, I get no response, or some "canned" response telling me to read some other canned response.

Google needs to get an actual person who can look at these things and help fix them. If they have one, please give me a number I can call. I'm too busy to keep wasting time trying to fix things that Google does randomly, or maybe from a complaint from a competitor? I can see them saying "hey this is copyrighted and they do not have pernission..." then without even actually understanding it, they just dissapprove?

Very frustrating.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why does Google disapprove common words as trademarks?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

I can undertand the problem you are facing. But Google always checks the ownership of anyterm before giving the trademark right to someone. Whenever any trademark ownership request is raised Google checks all the legalities behind that request and then only Google Approves their request.

Google's approach to trademarks

If a trademark owner files a complaint with Google about the use of their trademark in AdWords ads, Google will investigate and may enforce certain restrictions on the use of that trademark in AdWords ads and as keywords. More help for trademark owners

There are multiple factors that determine when trademarks can be used in AdWords ads and as keywords. Along with the factors described below, these policies apply only to trademarked terms where the owner submitted a valid complaint to Google and requested that the terms be restricted in Google ad campaigns.

You can have better understanding from the link given below:

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en

Foyzul

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I take it "Office Professional" is a trademark of Microsoft then ?? Last i heard thats a term that refers to someone that works in an office and is professional at their job, something that obviously doesnt come easy to google managment. What a sham google really is. God help us that that we have you running the Internet !!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello ;

Google relies on the "US patent and trademark office"  to determine a tradename. 

And indeed, if you check there you'll find that office professional is a trademark;

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4010:2gxlmz.1.1

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Are you retarded ? Im sorry but an Office professional is someone who works in an office TRADEMARK???

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Should I remind you that some trade-names have been adopted into our day-to-day spoken language? (e.g to xerox, to FedEx), and vice versa...Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Really think you are clutching at straws there or you work for Microsoft Brand awareness !! Xerox and Fedex are brand names. An office professional is someone who works in an office - period. Brainwashing at its finist - good job im a buddhist ! Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey There,

You can request an exceptiopn while creating your ad text. There is an option for requesting Exception for trademaek. In this scenario Adwords will check your ad text, keywords and website and if is is found that you are not dealing with the same product as the trademark is, then you can continue use the term in your ad text.

My experience : I was promoting one of my client and he was Apple fruit exporterApple is trademark term though but I was promoting Apple fruit unlike you Office ProfessionalWhile creating the ad text I raised a request for exception and then Adwords allowed me to promote this business after reviewing my website content and offerings. 

You can try the same. Adwords will allow you to go ahead. This system is made for helping advertisers. I think smart people like you can easily find out the option how to raise an exception request, still if you face any issues while raising the request write back to me, I will help You.

Foyzul

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, Office Professional (TM) is a trademarked name. (note the caps) who the heck is hired to populate these boards with these lies?