AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Why do my tracking numbers keep getting disapproved?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I use tracking numbers through Marchex to track phone calls for quite a few of my accounts. I've noticed recently that several of them keep getting disapproved, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

The phone number on the site changes dynamically based on where the user comes from, so when they come from an Adwords ad, it shows the same number that I have listed in the call extension settings (as text, not as an image). But Adwords says that they "can't verify the phone number at _____.com"

Any help here?

Does it matter whether I am using the Google forwarding number setting or not? I'd like to be able to use that in order to count calls as conversions in the Adwords interface.

Thanks!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zach V
September 2015

Re: Why do my tracking numbers keep getting disapproved?

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Zach,

In order for the Phone extension to be verified, you need to have 1 of 3 things happen.

1 Same number on site as in extension ( wont work with Tracking so not an option)
2 Use conversion tracking script on root Domain ( stupid and do not do)
3) Verify the site through Webmaster tools. ( search console) (YOUR BEST OPTION)

The easiest to the make sure the Website is verified through Google Webmaster tools.
Once you have the site verified then call the Help desk for an escalation. Had to go through that on one new account this week as well ( same issue).

Link to webmaster Tools if you don't have it.
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home?hl=en

No don't use the Google Forwarding number if you have your own Dynamic Call tracking. Follow the steps above, verify the site then call the HELP DESK NUMBER to escalate they approving the number

Tips: If you have a mobile version of the site that is not part of the sub-domain or root domain, then that say .mobi has to be verified in Google Webmaster tools as well.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Eric, thanks so much for the insight. I'm pretty sure on the accounts where I'm NOT using Google forwarding, I haven't had any issues with getting my numbers disapproved. Is it worth switching that off to see if that fixes the issue before I go the WMT route?

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Zach,

Based on how Adwords uses verification procedures, it is WISE to make sure you have GWT verified and associated with each account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Good to know--thanks!