AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Why are companies like Mspy allowed on AdWords when they clearly violate the terms?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Everyone.

I have a question that has been bugging me and Google does not seem to care so I thought I would get your opinion please.

Mspy, an infamous, spy phone software manufacturer, is allowed to advertise on AdWords and promote its illegal phone and computer spying software (as well as promote their software and how to install it on YouTube) - how is this possible?

Surely they clearly violate AdWords terms and conditions for sites that promote dishonest behaviour such as 'hacking services'? Is it just all about the money that Mspy spend on AdWords? Is that all Google really cares about?

Even contacting Google support to report the ads from Mspy and flag their illegal YouTube videos meets with generic boilerplate replies from support about how they 'don't have time to check all videos but if we report it to them they will check' and such rubbish and they do nothing.

Google sit by idly as the ad money comes in from Mspy and people's lives are devastated by this illegal spy software.

What are you thoughts everyone?

Regards.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Why are companies like Mspy allowed on AdWords when they clearly violate the terms?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Ian,

I am not defending the product, however it does seem to have some legit purposes. As they quote on their site:

The app is ostensibly intended for legal monitoring use, and there are certainly legitimate reasons to install the software. Companies, for instance, could inform their employees that they’re surveilling company phones for security purposes

The website very carefully avoids the mention of any illegal uses of their product. While you and I can presume that the product is predominantly used for spying on cheating partners or criminal uses, we don't know this and neither does Google. 

I'm sure there are a lot of products advertised on Google that can be used illegally, but have legit purposes as well.

Spray paint > graffiti

Rat poison > murder

Drones > illegal use of

Baseball bats > self defence

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi 

it shouldnt be there but we have to give google time to get rid of such sites. they have a lot going on for them but in time they will stop the ads. also the people from mspy could have found a way to cheat the system

regards,

Zaby

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

The policy is as follows:

Products or services that enable a user to gain unauthorised access (or make unauthorised changes) to systems, devices or property

• Examples: Hacking services, stealing cable, radar jammers, changing traffic signals, phone or wire-tapping

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6008942

There is a big difference between offering a hacking service, and a selling a product that can be used to spy on someone's activities.

To install this software for illegal purposes you need unauthorised access to someone's phone or PC. But the software doesn't help you gain access. 

I don't believe the advertiser is doing anything wrong, policy-wise.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for replying Zaby.

Google have been ignoring all the reported ads and YouTube videos so I don't think it is just a matter of time.  I think there may be more to this.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for replying Rising Star.

Pretty sure Google would know what Mspy is used for seeing as Mspy were hacked severely some time ago and their customer data was leaked on to the internet.  I think Google knows who Mspy are completely.

What about pages that have 'spy' in the URL?  Mspy has them (https://www.mspy.com/iphone-spy.html).  Is it simply because they do not mention words like 'spy' in their copy that Mspy are allowed in the program?  I think there is more to it than that.

What about this site then?  Again, similar to Mspy - would that be eligible for AdWords?

http://www.fspy.co

If not, why not?  How is it different to Mspy?  It doesn't mention spying or anything like that and only mentions the legitimate uses of the software.

Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Isn't illegally monitoring a phone or tablet or computer essentially a 'hacking service'?  It definitely promotes dishonest behaviour in any case.  Maybe I am confused about how these two terms are actually different.

Many thanks.

Re: Why are companies like Mspy allowed on AdWords when they clearly violate the terms?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

google is the final arbiter of all policies.

generally, the google policy-team does not discuss another

advertiser's policy details within the public forums or report

specific, private, policy decisions to anyone but the specific

advertiser who is under investigation.

with respect to potential policy violations by advertisers, the best likely
course is to simply submit google's official ad-violation form directly
to google with an exact (aclk) ad-click url and a succinct summary of

the policy being violated:
https://support.google.com/adwords/troubleshooter/4578507