AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Why Was My Account Suspended With No Notice Or Warning?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't even know why I'm fretting over this so much, because I hardly use Adwords, but it's just frustrating I guess.  I've had this account for nearly 7 years.  No prior issues.  No warning emails about any campaigns.  I think I had a couple of ads in the past they didn't approve simply because of something like a brand name was used in one if I recall.  It's been years ago.

Anyway, I use my Adwords area as kind of a test bed for other sites I have and also other sites I help people manage.  One site that I work with sells Social Media services, like Twitter Followers, Facebook Likes, etc.  Stuff that I know is against Adwords TOS.  So I never even considered running ads for them.  However, in order to get an idea for estimated traffic I will sometimes generate a dummy campaign that is not activated, but I will enter the keywords I want to use just to get an idea of the traffic that might be expected.  It just gives us an idea of what might be best to use in other PPC campaigns like Bing and other avenues.

So I generate a fake campaign, generate a huge list of keywords, build out an ad (remember this campaign is not active) and just get an estimated number of clicks based on a budget that I set.  That was it.  I went to bed and woke up to an email that was sent at 12:07am with a "Warning Of Possible Suspension". 

It said "we are emailing you again to alert you that one or more of your sites violate our advertising policies"  Warning me again????  When was the first warning?  I can't remember the last time I got an email regarding my Adwords accounts, and I for sure never received one with a warning of any kind.

I then received another email at 1:12am "Ads not running due to Adwords advertising policies"  It went on to say that I needed to make the necessary changes to the site and then resubmit it.  Well, the site is not even built out yet, so we just keep it in maintenance mode.  Again, this was all in a testing phase.  So I immediately email them back that morning when I saw the messages they sent to me.  I explained that it was just part of a test I was doing, and that the campaign wasn't active.  I also explained to them that the site was not even live yet, and that I really didn't know what more I could be done to "fix" whatever problem it was they saw with it.  I just didn't think much of it and deleted that test campaign and moved on.  Again, this wasn't even an ad that I had gone live with, so it shouldn't even have been reviewed or looked at by an Adwords rep.  So I get an email at midnight with a warning and another at 1am saying my ads are not running.

I ask them to reactivate my ads, because the whole thing is just completely ridiculous.  I mean just totally asinine.  And like I said before, I'm not beholden to them so I don't care who I spend my money with.  However, it has been convenient using Adwords for some of my sites from time to time so it's a good option to have if I need it.

I get another follow up email this evening.  Here's the first line:

"I understand you have some concerns around the suspension of your account. I can confirm that this action is related to sites that have recently been advertised through your account. In a review of your account history, we have found instances where there has been egregious violation of our Landing page and site policies."

In a review of my history they have found instances?  What instances?  How many?  There were no instances in my history.

It goes on to read:

"The URLs listed below have been cited for having poor Landing page and site quality and consequently disabled for the same:

<<mydomain.com>> Disabled for Site not working, Ad Spam Techniques."

I explained to them in my first email that the site was not up and running, and I also explained to them that the ad campaign was nothing more than a test and not active.

It gets better...

"I would like to mention that , although you may have removed these sites since our latest review, advertisers that have a history of promoting these types of sites are still subject to account-level suspension and hence there is no way you can appeal the suspension now."

I mean seriously? I have no "history" of promoting any type of site except for the same business sites I've been advertising off and on for the last 7 years.  So now I have no way to appeal the suspension?  Am I just stuck with absolutely zero options here?

And to top it off...here's the most poetic part.  They finish off the email with this statement...

"You can review our landing page and site policies here:

http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/static.py?hl=en&topic=30210&guide=28439&page=guide.cs"

Only one problem...every time I clicked on the link so that they can tell me about their landing page and site policies it simply says "Page Not Found". 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Why Was My Account Suspended With No Notice Or Warning?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;
My understanding, after reading the case twice, is that the chances of reinstating your account are slim. A clue is in this sentence : "... In a review of your account history, we have found instances where there has been egregious violation of our Landing page and site policies...."

Are you confident that there were no past violations / or warnings during the last years?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’