AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Which word in my ad triggered disapproval by trademark infringement?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have one ad that received "limited" approval and another that was disapproved, based (I believe) on the use of a word in the ad itself. But how can I improve my ads if I can't tell which word triggered the ad policy issues??

Here is the ad which received limited approval:

Summer SAT Boot Camp

Intensive courses, Ivy instructors.

Register early and save 10%!

And here is the ad which was disapproved:

Private SAT Test Prep
Comprehensive, 1-on-1 instruction.
Ivy tutors. Book a session today!

My guess is that in the first case, it's the phrase "SAT Boot Camp" since there are a couple websites (and, presumably, companies) that have this name in various formats. In the second case, it may be "Ivy tutors," since again there is at least one organization with this name. 

But my question is: Just because another company or organization named themselves one of these phrases, does that really mean I cannot use the phrase to describe my services in my ads? And don't they have to seek trademark/copyright licensing from the US government in order for infringement to be valid? None of the websites or companies I saw when researching these phrases had the "TM" or "R" logos next to their names..

Thanks,

Scott

Re: Which word in my ad triggered disapproval by trademark infringemen

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 2
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Scott

You should see the keyword that is not complying with our policies in the speech bubble. Hover over the white speech bubble Ad disapproval bubble in the Status column. In terms of a trademark, if a trademark owner files a complaint with Google about the use of their trademark in AdWords ads, Google will investigate and may enforce certain restrictions on the use of that trademark in AdWords ads and as keywords.

Best,

Zee
G+