AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

What brands are doing to prevent competitors from bidding on them?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I work for a niche tour operator and our brand name and domain are always plagued with competitors bidding on them. I don't understand why big brands like Thomas Cook and First Choice don't have a single competitor exploiting their brand searches. I have already complained with Google but all they can do is to prevent the brand name from appearing in the ad. So what the big brands are doing to prevent competitors from bidding on their brand names and domains?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What brands are doing to prevent competitors from bidding on them?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Marcos,

In order to prevent one's trademark being used in AdWords, a trademark owner or an officially approved other party should complete a complaint form (found here:https://services.google.com/inquiry/aw_tmcomplaint ) and wait for Google's investigation. Once it's complete and there are no issues, only authorized advertisers will be able to use the trademark in their AdWords campaigns.

You will find some more information regarding this topic here: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2562124

Milda

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Milda,
Thanks for your reply. I have already filed a trademark complaint with Google but as I have mentioned "all they can do is to prevent the brand name from appearing in the ad".

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello;
This is part of the game / rules in AdWords. You can bid on a competitor's name. They key is, though; that when someone searches for your business name , you'll have your ad shown with a relevant and "tight" message, in  a high position, and preferably sitelinks 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’