AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

What QS is needed before DKI is turned on in Text Ads?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I just read a blog post (circa 2010), http://www.blindfiveyearold.com/dynamic-keyword-insertion-and-quality-score that stated that ads with dynamic keyword insertion only works when a keywords has a certain quality score or above.

Does anyone know what that quality score is or if this is even true?

Sincerely Matt

3 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt G
September 2015

Re: What QS is needed before DKI is turned on in Text Ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Folks,

I called Google Adwords phone support and explained my question. The rep placed me on hold and then confirmed that 'YES' Google will use the default text if the QS of the keyword was to low, but the rep couldn't say a definite number, stating that maybe down below 5 this would happen. So for keywords with QS 4,3,2,1 the DKI might not be there.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Matt G and Moshe,

I believe this is true, there is an undisclosed minimum QS for the keyword to be used in DKI. I remember reading this somewhere and it's the same answer you gto from phone support. The ad will be shown with the default text instead, provided the AdRank is high enough.

I did spend some time trying to get DKI to work and finally gave it up. But I don't have 100 campaigns with 1000 ad groups. DKI comes with a warning. It's not meant for newbies or the faint of heart. DKI is hard.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Adrian B, just want to clarify something from your post...

DKI replaces the default text in the Ad with the Keyword, not the search term used.  This is a very important distinction and a very common misunderstanding.  It is therefore normally useful only to use Phrase or Exact matches with DKI, but because this makes it easier to match the Keywords to the Ad text, not the search terms that may match to them.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Matt G,
Quality Score is an estimate of how relevant your ads, keywords, and landing page are to a person seeing your ad. Having a high Quality Score means that systems think your ad, keyword, and landing page are all relevant and useful to someone looking at your ad.
DKI- Keyword insertion is a powerful feature that can save you time and also help make your ad text more relevant. This feature will automatically customize your ad to a user's query, which means your ad is more likely to attract a user's attention. And, since ad text that matches a user's search terms is shown in bold, your ads will stand out even more.
Note- Keywords quality score does not impact in dki.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Matt,

Please read this previous debate here :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Dynamic-Keyword-Insertion-for-long-tail/td-p...

Although I tried to search this in the help pages but I could not find any reference to QS being a trigger for the DKI.

There is some good advice here :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en-GB

"

• Ad positionHigher Quality Scores lead to higher ad positions. That means that your ad can show up higher on the page when your keyword has a higher Quality Score.

In a nutshell, higher Quality Scores typically lead to lower costs and better ad positions. The AdWords system works best for everybody – advertisers, customers, publishers and Google – when the ads that we show are relevant, closely matching what customers are looking for. Relevant ads tend to earn more clicks, appear in a higher position and bring you the most success."

It may be that DKI generates non-relevant Ads by replacing the text with the search term that might not fit the rest of your Ad , therefore in can lower the QS if your keywords are not in exact match . Try to avoid using DKI with simple broad keywords.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt G
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Folks,

I called Google Adwords phone support and explained my question. The rep placed me on hold and then confirmed that 'YES' Google will use the default text if the QS of the keyword was to low, but the rep couldn't say a definite number, stating that maybe down below 5 this would happen. So for keywords with QS 4,3,2,1 the DKI might not be there.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I think that the issue is not a the DKI feature / option  itself, but rather the QS of the "DKI KW". If it (=QS)  is low the ad-rank will be low and thus it will not trigger the ad;

I will ask @Jon_Gritton and @petebardo to comment;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Matt G and Moshe,

I believe this is true, there is an undisclosed minimum QS for the keyword to be used in DKI. I remember reading this somewhere and it's the same answer you gto from phone support. The ad will be shown with the default text instead, provided the AdRank is high enough.

I did spend some time trying to get DKI to work and finally gave it up. But I don't have 100 campaigns with 1000 ad groups. DKI comes with a warning. It's not meant for newbies or the faint of heart. DKI is hard.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Guys for the Feedback,

Also Of note: a hunch I formed from the phone support conversation was that the undisclosed minimum QS to show the DKI, might be varied (be different for each keyword) because the Rep was kinda vague about it. I would say this idea holds merit for example a keyword like - [blue widgets] in one industry might enjoy a CTR of 10.2% and have a QS 4 but in a different industry a keyword like [blue shoes] that has a CTR of 7.3% has a QS of 9. And if you wanted to DKI the [blue widget] Adwords might use the default text, just a theory.

I just have the feeling the whole Adwords Algo is really fast and really smart.

I was just let down because this revalation invalids a lot of metrics on Ads that have DKI unless the adgroup was really small. Oh well moving on!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Adrian B, just want to clarify something from your post...

DKI replaces the default text in the Ad with the Keyword, not the search term used.  This is a very important distinction and a very common misunderstanding.  It is therefore normally useful only to use Phrase or Exact matches with DKI, but because this makes it easier to match the Keywords to the Ad text, not the search terms that may match to them.

Jon

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, thank you very much for the correction.

I was influenced by recently reading this solution by Theniks :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Can-I-add-search-phrase-to-destination-URL...

And also by reading some ( probably wrong) info about how bings ads work from here :

http://goo.gl/JQtLxN

where the microsoft employee writing the article states 

"Admittedly the easiest way to include the search term is through {keyword} insertion. This function allows you to drop the term from the search box straight into your ad."

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
No problem Adrian, it's probably one of the most common misunderstandings in AdWords - we see it all the time.

Jon