AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5K members online now
5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Weight loss products containing Garcinia Cambogia

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

We have a weight loss "bundle" that contains 3 products:

1. fibre supplement

2. cellulite cream

3. pills for weight loss

The weight loss pills are made of 9 plants, one of them being Garcinia Cambogia. Are we allowed to promote this product on AdWords? I am asking this because in this thread:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/Content-policy-violations-no-2/td-p/42294...

@LauraAdEngineer / Google stated the following:

"we just don't allow garcinia cambogia weight loss ads, period."

We claim that with this solution plus a healthy life style the clients can loose:

1. 2-4 kg / month

2. 4-7 kg in 2 months

3. 6-9 kg in 3 months

This solution was advertised about 2 years ago (in the past 2 years, we never run any ad on that). Still, we are very interested in Google's approach on this. Is this site legal from this description?

I have looked here:

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2423645

and I don't see Garcinia Cambogia as a banned substance. Here:

http://www.legitscript.com/products/Garcinia%20Cambogia/

there seems to be a "yellow" flag on a product named "Garcinia Cambogia".

Please help us with more details on this. Is this allowed?

Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Razvan M
September 2015

Re: Weight loss products containing Garcinia Cambogia

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

HI Razvan,

I dug into this a bit.  (As much as I'm willing to spend time on, anyway.)  It looks like Garcinia Cambogia is not totally forbidden.  I'm not sure whether it used to be forbidden and that changed, or if it was confusion or wishful thinking on my part.

However, ingredients like GC may make the reviewers a very close look at the rest of the web site, looking for things like misleading claims, unapproved pharmaceuticals, deceptive business practices, and so on.  If someone is selling what is basically snake oil, who knows what else they might be up to?

The amount of weight loss your site is claiming is probably not a misleading claim, because someone could probably lose that much weight with diet and exercise alone, with no herbal pills involved.  But I haven't taken a close look at your site, and I'm not the one who reviews ads anyway, so don't take that as a promise that your ads and site will be OK.  To some extent it's a judgement call by the reviewer.

> If Garcinia Cambogia is not allowed in products advertised in AdWords for loosing weight then

> it should be in this list: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2423645

No.  That page lists examples of prohibited products.  We don't list them all.  We couldn't, because the number of bogus supplements is ever-expanding and we don't update the page that often.  We also don't want people to be able to say "But it's not in the list" when we disapprove their ads for something that is clearly bad but hasn't been added to the list yet.  Advertisers need to extrapolate from what's listed there and decide if what they're selling is similar.  If it's borderline, your ads and site probably are too.

Laura

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Hi Razvan,

Last time I paid attention to this, we did not allow any products containing Garcinia Cambogia no matter what the claims were, but that was a while ago. It's possible that changed and that we now allow it as long as you don't make misleading claims about it. I'll check with the policy folks but probably won't hear back until next week.

Laura
Ads Review Engineer

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Razvan,

I'm not sure what you're looking for here. You received quite a bit of info in your other thread about this or at least a very similar topic. I think you realize at this point that most of us can't tell you one way or another for sure what the story is here, we don't have any more insight into exact policies than you do.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Apparently, Laura had replied here two days ago but the post just recently appeared...
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Laura,

Thank you for looking into this.

Best regards,
Razvan Mihaiu

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Tommy,

When dealing with information, what matters is quality not quantity.

If Garcinia Cambogia is not allowed in products advertised in AdWords for loosing weight then it should be in this list:

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2423645

Despite reading the policies several times I have found nothing wrong about a product containing Garcinia Cambogia. This raises a very big question mark.

I need to know exactly what the situation is before I get hit by Google.

Best regards,
Razvan Mihaiu
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Razvan M
September 2015

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

HI Razvan,

I dug into this a bit.  (As much as I'm willing to spend time on, anyway.)  It looks like Garcinia Cambogia is not totally forbidden.  I'm not sure whether it used to be forbidden and that changed, or if it was confusion or wishful thinking on my part.

However, ingredients like GC may make the reviewers a very close look at the rest of the web site, looking for things like misleading claims, unapproved pharmaceuticals, deceptive business practices, and so on.  If someone is selling what is basically snake oil, who knows what else they might be up to?

The amount of weight loss your site is claiming is probably not a misleading claim, because someone could probably lose that much weight with diet and exercise alone, with no herbal pills involved.  But I haven't taken a close look at your site, and I'm not the one who reviews ads anyway, so don't take that as a promise that your ads and site will be OK.  To some extent it's a judgement call by the reviewer.

> If Garcinia Cambogia is not allowed in products advertised in AdWords for loosing weight then

> it should be in this list: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2423645

No.  That page lists examples of prohibited products.  We don't list them all.  We couldn't, because the number of bogus supplements is ever-expanding and we don't update the page that often.  We also don't want people to be able to say "But it's not in the list" when we disapprove their ads for something that is clearly bad but hasn't been added to the list yet.  Advertisers need to extrapolate from what's listed there and decide if what they're selling is similar.  If it's borderline, your ads and site probably are too.

Laura

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Laura,

We are always preparing for a very close look at the rest of the website. Google's CSRs have stated that 1 single sentence not according to the TOS can suspend a site.

Thank you for taking the time to answer this.

Best regards,
Razvan Mihaiu