AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Webmaster guidelines violation - site suspended

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have a handful of dating sites.  Each site segments members based on the members locations.  For example we have a Latin site that has members from Latin America, North America, Europe and Australia.  At the same time we have an International Site that would have members from all over the world.  A member from the USA would have his profile show on all of our sites.  While a member from South Africa would only have his profile displayed on our international Site.  Today all of my sites were suspended by Adwords for Webmaster Guidelines violations.  I suspect the problem is we have overlapping content.  However, if that’s the case I would be happy to switch to the international site alone and shut down the regional sites.  We do have Adsense on our site.  We have limited our ads to two ads per page with the exception of our list pages that have a lot more content.  It’s not clear to me if the problem is too many ads or overlapping content.  I can’t tell from the email message that I got.  I’ve further reduced the number of ads we have on our pages to one.  I did talk to a Google rep and he could not figure out what was wrong with my site and suggested I just resubmit it for approval.  Since I got a message that my account was at risk of suspension, I don’t know if that is a good idea.  Any advice?  Here are two of the domains in question:  www.internationalkisses.com  www.latinamericankisses.com.  Thanks!
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Webmaster guidelines violation - site suspended

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Webmaster tools violation  usually relates to black hat practices / techniques   prohibited by the policy. (Usually within the code.)

So I don't think the issue is with the content (though the content should be checked for compliance), or due to different Geo targeting  using different domains.  (This is not a violation)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I did hire SEO consultans to work on one of the sites. I was assured all of their practices were “Whit hat”. I assume this must be the root of the issue. But that was only on one site. I do link from that site to the other sites. Could that be what got my other sites banned? I have already fired that company months ago. If this is the problem, what steps should I take to resolve this issue?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Though technically a site is suspended - the ban applies to all sites promoted by the same advertisers. Actually, the advertiser is suspended from advertising with Google until the violation is fixed. This is stated in the suspension email.

Watch this video (time stamp 0:45)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is the code I got: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?hl=en#709

Keyword stuffing: a technique where webpages are loaded with keywords to inflate the site's ranking
Cloaking: a technique where different content is served to search engines than to users
Sneaky JavaScript redirects (Gaming): a technique that displays different content to users and Google's ads crawl in order to "game" our system
Doorway pages: webpages that are created solely to rank high in search engine results for particular phrases, with the purpose of sending you to a different page
Spamming social network sites: sites that spam social network sites to inflate a site's ranking or popularity
I’m not doing any of the things listed here.

The video on this page points to forms of content that are not unique. This is why I assumed the problem could be due to how we are using our sites to segment users by location.

I’m not even sure our SEO consultants did anything “black hat”. I can see that they are still listed in Google’s search results so I would assume their methods are ok.

I’m really confused about what the problem is here.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again;

As  I explained:  there are 2 levels of actions required here:

1. Checking the content of all your sites, and verifying compliance.
  2. Checking the code  the sites by  programmers (preferably those who coded the site) familiar with the webmaster tools guidelines, and removing all violations.

I don't see any other way to resolve the issue.

Please note that if Google's  organic search shows a (given) SEO consultant on the result page (SERP), that  does not  mean that Google endorse him...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your help. I think I have found the problem. The copy for the home page of the site we hired the SEO consultants to improve has a lot of keywords in it. However, there are a lot of h2 tags around the keywords. And the CSS does not line break for h2 tags. The text reads fine but I think this is keyword cramming...

Be sure to check out all of our
<h2>free dating sites</h2>
to find the one that is best for you. Or browse our photo and video profiles of
<h2>single beautiful women</h2>

I've switched this back to our original text and our original CSS. I've also deleted all content created by or for our SEO team. I've limited the robot.txt file to only crawl the home page. We were not getting much traffic from search engines other than people specifically looking for our sites. I do think we are in compliance now.

Is there a path back from “pure spam”? Or is this the kiss of death? If there is a path back, how long does it normally take?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

>>"The text reads fine but I think this is keyword cramming"

This could be one reason......

However, you cannot resubmit the site for a review as many times as you wish. There is a limit to the number of times you can submit a site for a re-check. Thus, my answer still stands: there is no other way here, but to check systematically  the content and the code of all sites. (I know. This is  a lot of work, and a real  time consuming task...)

-Moshe

BTW: "limiting the robot.txt"  is not something I would recommend. Google does not  like that you "block" robot.txt  from  crawling  content.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, thanks again for your advice. I can see that there are several potential issues with the site. I think it would be best if I hired someone to perform an analysis on the site to see what is best.

1. The public profiles on the site do not offer much content. Just some basic information on the member and maybe a photo. I don't think it's a good idea to have this indexed. However, it sounds like it could also be a problem if I have all the profile pages blocked.
2. The same is true of the List pages. Not much content, only member names and some data like age and location. I don't think I need that indexed either.
3. I did have a lot of references to “women seeking men” and “men seeking women” on the site. I have removed all of them. I think this could have been a big issues since each profile title in the list view referenced this also, many of the image links had that in the alt tags.

Unfortunately, when I first got this notice, I called Adwords support. They looked at the page with me and we both concluded that this could have been made in error. And recommended that I resubmit the sites for review as they were. Of course they were rejected. Now, I am very concerned that there is no room remaining for error. I think it’s best if I get professional help with this.

Are you allowed to make recommendations?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

From the community Guidelines. "Please don’t create posts that solicit business"