AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Was your AdWords account taken over?- Tips to stay safe

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hello Everyone,

Today’s topic of discussion is about how to secure your AdWords account from unauthorized access.

Google has a highly developed mechanism of detecting unauthorized access and in most cases this happenstance is prevented. But sometimes AdWords accounts do get compromised, and below are some easy steps about how to prevent this from happening.

Account security tips: Most of the steps mentioned below seem relatively common, but they actually go a long way in safeguarding your account.

1.  Run Regular Malware scans:  We open a lot of different websites while browsing, and not all of them may be safe. While we cannot be over cautious while opening each new website, it is always a good practice to run malware scans periodically.

2.  Update passwords: A fairly common suggestion, passwords should be have multiple special characters so that it will be very difficult to guess, and moreover never share your password with anyone.  In AdWords, you can have many users share the same account.  You can invite users from the account access tab in your AdWords account. Each user will obviously have a different email ID to login, and at the same have a different password, so you will not have to share passwords with others.

3. Enable 2-Step verification:  To step verification will provide an extra security to your Google Account. To know more about this and how to implement it, please click here.

4. Account Security Video: Also, please watch our account security video here.

In case of unauthorized access:

If you notice any changes in your AdWords account that you do not remember making, please get in touch with the AdWords support team via the various support channels right away.

Also, pause all your campaigns so that you do not accrue extra charges and change your password immediately.

If you have not enabled the 2-step verification already, do it now!

As always, I will be happy to answer any queries you may have.

Regards,

Anuradha

Note: This is an open forum and hence I will not be able to answer account specific questions. If you require personalized help with your account, you can always reach us via our various support channels that we have.

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Was your AdWords account taken over?- Tips to stay safe

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Thanks Anuradha! Smiley Happy
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I would strongly recommend the 2-step verification, using Google Authenticatorr on a mobile device. It secures all of Google's products listed under a given Google account. Haven't yet tested it overseas. Hopefully I would work fine.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thankx auradha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Our account was accessed fraudulently and a new add group was added. Thought there is no loss as Google suspended and made it read only and then the account was temporarily suspended. I have activated 2 way verification and password reset and contacted through the help center however no one has responded. I am unable to understand what investigation is being done by Google? and why I can't use it?

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi Admin,

Thank you for posting on our Community forum. Regarding your AdWords account issue, I see our AdWords Support team has already reached out to you within information on how to fix it. Please continue to work with them on this issue. If you do not receive any feedback from the AdWords Support team, feel free to let me know on the forums.