AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Using separate AdWords accounts to target the same page

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm working with a multi-national client where each country office has their own AdWords account. They have a single website that is localized to multiple languages with localization codes in the URL. For the most part, they don't step on each-others' toes as Country A will create an ad pointing to the /en/ version of a landing page and Country B will create an ad pointing to the /fr/ version of the same landing page.

However, they now have the instance where Country B would like to direct traffic to the same /en/ page as Country A.

My first question is: as this scenario stands so far, is this ever ok? My understanding is that AdWords policy prohibits multiple accounts targeting the same page.

My second question is: If Country A targets the west coast and Country B targets the east coast, is this ok? They will both be targeting the same page, but reaching mutually exclusive audiences.

Thanks!

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Using separate AdWords accounts to target the same page

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Adam R

The key to understanding the "gain unfair advantage"; is in the last line of your question: " They will both be targeting the same page, but reaching mutually exclusive audiences"

There is no variation in targeting different audiences,  using the same page. 

The prohibited practice is promoting the same service/ product with  the same or similar pricing to he same audience  -this is gaining an unfair advantage.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Adam
To the best of my knowledge, the answer to your first question would be a no.

Diverse content: We don’t allow advertisers to promote the same or similar content from multiple accounts on the same or similar queries. Please see https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?hl=en.

Second question- this scenario (east and west coast) will likely trigger ads for similar/same search queries though to mutually exclusive scenarios. and hence not acceptable to adwords. Please see https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?hl=en.

I would rather have one adwords account and tailor different campaigns for different locations, we can use different landing pages for varied set of audiences with different language needs.

Here is another great answer on this topic be Celebird : https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/Double-Serving-Policy/td-p/429044.

Please let us know further questions if any.

Thanks
Ajay

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for your reply Ajay. However, after reading through the links you supplies as well as doing my own research, it seems pretty clear that this aspect of Google's policy is poorly documented and has confused many. The "gaining and unfair advantage" section of the AdWords policy page is only 1 sentence and doesn't convey the full depth and nuance of the situation.

Similarly, the thread you linked to ( https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/Double-Serving-Policy/td-p/429044 ) leaves many questions unanswered and offers some misleading information at the end (@MosheTLV indicates that account structure and keywords are NOT considered as part of double-serving).

This post here - http://tillison.co.uk/blog/google-adwords-double-serving/ - fills in some of the cracks as the author "asked Google for a more detailed explanation of the policy", but the response he describes is not in any official documentation.

At this point, there is a lot of conjecture but no official answers. The best course of action seems to be to contact Google directly and speak with an account rep.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Adam R,

In my opinion, there is no problem in it. I will explain why...

In this scenario, there is no intention to gain unfair advantage. This business model is quite normal. And there won't be any double serving either as two accounts will not target the same geography. If the same geography is targeted even with different languages, it won't be allowed.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Adam R

The key to understanding the "gain unfair advantage"; is in the last line of your question: " They will both be targeting the same page, but reaching mutually exclusive audiences"

There is no variation in targeting different audiences,  using the same page. 

The prohibited practice is promoting the same service/ product with  the same or similar pricing to he same audience  -this is gaining an unfair advantage.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
As @MosheTLV explains - there is no violation in this instance. However, it would still be prudent to get in touch with your local Google office and explain the situation to them - they can then mark your account for any future reference.

Then be careful to make sure that your geo-targeting lines are clearly drawn for anyone in your organisation who might be setting up campaigns so that they don't overlap.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@MosheTLV can you cite any documentation backing up your suggestion about the prohibited practice focusing on promoting the same service/product with same/similar pricing to the same audience?

The only documentation I can find is the 'unfair advantage' clause here which states:

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?hl=en
" Using the Google Network to gain an unfair traffic advantage over other participants in the auction
Examples: Affiliates that advertise on AdWords against the applicable affiliate program rules, promoting the same or similar content from multiple accounts on the same or similar queries"

Then later:

"Diverse content: We don’t allow advertisers to promote the same or similar content from multiple accounts on the same or similar queries."

Neither pricing nor audiences are mentioned in Google's documentation. Only content, accounts, and queries.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Adam R;

In terms of AdWords, When Google says content, it means a product or a service aimed to be promoted among specific audience(s)

I agree, though, that  this clause should be more explicit, and examples should be added,  as it was in the previous version of the Policy. (In Policy 2.0  Google simplified the language, but now some specific examples  demonstrating  possible scenarios should be added.)

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adam,

If they are on different time zones then why not schedule each to run at a different times. If they run on different schedules then they are not competing. I personally think that running on same schedule IS double serving and "gaining an unfair advantage". However, like before it is not clear which is why there is so much discussion on this in other help forums. It just takes one competitor to report this and you are under the hammer and will know soon enough.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Let's clarify the issue:

Google will investigate gaining unfair advantage only if  3 conditions are met:

1. The advertiser promotes the same service or services using different accounts;
  2. The services / product promoted are similar or the same. (Same product with a slight different price - is a similar product)
  3. The audience targeted is the same. (Usually this would happen in the same Geo region)

promoticg  2 cars from the same dealership: small electric car  for  urban short trips, and an SUV - is not a double serving, since the audience targeted is different.