AdWords
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Using drug names in advertising rehab services?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I'm in comms business and one of my client segments are organizations providing substance abuse treatment services. They also occasionally run public information campaigns warning about harmful substances.

I wonder if there are any policy restrictions for terms like 'cannabis' or 'cocaine', considering that the the actual product/service is about cannabis treatment, or a campaign against substance misuse?

I'm aware of that organizations providing health services are supposed to apply for a specific permission to advertise through AdWords.

Anyone with experience with similar stuff?

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Antti J
September 2015

Re: Using drug names in advertising rehab services?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Antti J

Though the  model  of your business is for a good cause, my understanding of  your business is that the content promoted falls  under the category of prohibited content and cannot be advertised.

Read more:

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6008942?hl=en#con

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Antti J
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Antti J

Though the  model  of your business is for a good cause, my understanding of  your business is that the content promoted falls  under the category of prohibited content and cannot be advertised.

Read more:

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6008942?hl=en#con

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe,

Thanks a lot for getting back. I assume how you define the nature of the content is pretty much a matter of interpretation. However, judging by the fact that drug related searches never show any ads, the thing seems to be like you said.

Too bad, AdWords would make a great tool for reaching out for people interested in different substances.

Thanks again and have a great weekend!