AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Using another company's name in an ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Last week I noticed that a competitor of my company was using my company's name (with an added space) in the headline and main text of one of their adverts, and this advert was coming up 1st or 2nd when searching for my company's name. My company's name is not a general term used in the industry, so it was clear that they were using our name on purpose.

I complained to Adwords about this, and the next day the ad seemed to be gone.

Today though, I have noticed that the parent company of that competitor now has another advert with our name in the headline, and the main text mentions the competitor and points to proven results for the service that competitor provides. So when people search specifically for my company, they are getting this advert directly trying to steal our traffic.

Do I have a case against this competitor even though they are adding a space into my company name in order to use it to their advantage?

Re: Using another company's name in an ad

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Im90

The first question I suppose that needs to be asked is, is your company name a trademark?

Google's trademark policies differ widely depending on the geographical target market of the ad, use of same within ad text, use of same as keywords within an ad et. etc. - you can view Google's AdWords Trademark policies here.

From what you say to me it sounds like sharp practice at the very least - especially if, as it seems, they were asked to remove the ad last time. If they were asked to remove the ad last time and the Parent company is using the term again, surely they are aware of being asked to remove same. I would simply inform Google again but make them aware that it is the same company using the name and they may penalise more severly this time.

Let us know how you get on.

Dave

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your response David.

After complaining that ad seemed to disappear again, but now they have upped their sharp practice and are using an ad for our company name keyword that specifically states that an ex client of ours switched to them and saved X%. Screaming desperation!

I'm aware there's probably not much that can be done in a situation like this, but does anyone have any advice on ways to proceed?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

See it can also be Dynamic Keyword Insertion feature being used by your competitor. Its a common practice for making ads.

The question is  - Do these ads with your names appear when you search for your company?

Also, if they are using your name so desperately, report to google. Read More here - http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6118

Thanks,

Chetan.