AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Using an Affiliates domain with unique tracking tag

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to use an affiliate tracking link in Google Adwords. Is this allowed?

For example: Website used to display in the ad would be PageX.com. The tracking tag the affiliate company provided is TrackinglinkX.com/uniqueID. After a user would click on adwords ad using "TrackinglinkX.com/uniqueID" link as the landing page, the user is redirected to PageX.com/UniqueID/uniqueclickkey...which allows me to track clicks/leads on the affiliate's platform.

Does google allow using domain: TrackinglinkX.com/uniqueID to send users to PageX.com?

Thanks,

Nick

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@nick

Promoting an affiliate is a very sensitive issue with Google. Generally, if you don't have control over the landing page, I would not recommend to promote it. If the landing page was  suspended, you would be  suspended too, until fixed. Since you don't own the landing page, then you can't fix it, and you could find yourself suspended for good.... Smiley Surprised

The general rule applies: Do not promote a landing page you don't control.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Nick,

Regarding the linking, no, that won't work.

The domain you use as the Final URL in your ad must be the final URL where the searcher ends up.

If you are the affiliate, there's no solution for you.

If you are the merchant, consider using an affiliate system that uses your site's domain name as the affiliate link - PageX.com?affiliate_id

If you control PageX.com you could create a redirect script that is on that domain:

PageX.com/redirect/uniqueID > TrackinglinkX.com/uniqueID > PageX.com/UniqueID/uniqueclickkey.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

It depends Nick,

First, let me say I am 100% in agreement with Moshe.  Advertising an affiliate link is a bad idea and almost always ends badly for the advertiser.

That being said, it depends on how the tracking url is set up.  Google has a special place in the ad creation to put tracking urls.  This was done to alert the Google Bot that the user is going to flow through another url briefly after the click for tracking purposes only, but the final destination url will still be the top level domain name in the display url and destination url.

I said it depends because it based upon how that tracking functionality was coded to work.  Many companies don't code these redirect tracking links correctly or the advertising doesn't create the ad properly in AdWords and what ends up happening is a Cloaking and Gaming policy violation.

Although using affiliate tracking ids and redirect "can" work, I wouldn't do it unless I KNOW it was done correctly and that I know how to set it up properly in AdWords because Cloaking and Gaming violations are largely Death Nails if you get them, at least from my experience.