AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Using Search Ads to Promote a Youtube Video

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We are considering using AdWords to advertise a property being sold.

My boss plans to do this by using search ads so that when a person does a search for "property in X suburb" (or words to that effect) the ad will come up "Beautiful Property in X Suburb etc." which will then link through to his Youtube video advertising the property (on the estate agents youtube channel).

I'm not sure how effective it will be but I don't see any reason why this would violate an Adwords policy, but I was wondering if anyone could shed light on the potential implications of using Adwords to promote a video on the Youtube channel of an Estate Agent selling his property.

Thanks,

James

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using Search Ads to Promote a Youtube Video

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

That doesn't violate any policy, but it never works very well, either. People don't click ads for youtube.com if they weren't already looking for videos (unless you're advertising a brand known for cool videos, that is).

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi James,

You can't direct a search ad to YouTube Video. That's not allowed. However, if you really want users to watch your videos, you should opt for AdWords for Video campaign and create that specific campaign.

For search network, what you can do is to send the users to the relevant landing page with content and you could also embed the YouTube Video within that page if you want them to watch the video then and there.

My couple of cents!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the responses Smiley Happy

"You can't direct a search ad to YouTube Video. That's not allowed."

Is this written anywhere? I couldn't find it in the AdWords policy.

I want to be able to print something out and show to my boss as opposed to just saying "can't do it".

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author James P
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi James,

What I meant above was that you should use AdWords for Video in case you want users to showcase your YouTube videos using that particular channel which you actually own. There's no direct official link which you are asking for.

Also the motive of user who is searching on Google search network is different compared to someone who is browsing other websites or browsing videos specifically. YouTube and Google's Display Network provides the podium for those specific users who are not direct but are inclined towards branding and converts gradually. That's my understanding here.

However you can always show the benefits of AdWords for Video campaign if you want. This doc provides the optimization tips:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3013684?hl=en

Hope this helps!
Pankaj

Using Search Ads to Promote a Youtube Video

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't know the exact policy, but I tested Adwords and Adwords for Video to send traffic to my YouTube videos to see what would happen.  Adwords didn't have a problem with it at all.

The results were roughly the same, but Adwords cost 3 or 4 times more than Adwords for Video per view/click.

Hope that helps.