AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Using #1 in Ads?

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

I recall using superlatives used to be against AdWords content policies.  Is that still the case? I see tons of ads claiming to be #1 which is kinda dumb since clearly they aren't all #1....

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual
3 Expert replyverified_user

Using #1 in Ads?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Joy

If I were you I would create some such ads just to routine improvement. If Google will disapprove this, it's still OK, if not, you can get better performance. Try and share the results with us.

Using #1 in Ads?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Yes; This falls under "punctuation and symbols" and is not allowed.

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6021546

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Using #1 in Ads?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@MosheTLV Thanks.  What should someone do if they find their competitors doing this then?

Owner of Sterling Sky

Using #1 in Ads?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Actually I found another thread where you linked to it Smiley Happy

https://support.google.com/adwords/troubleshooter/4578507?visit_id=1-636299308854425691-2918712547&r...

Owner of Sterling Sky
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author JoyHawkins
May

Using #1 in Ads?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @JoyHawkins,

Actually, I have a different perspective.  I believe that this is covered under the Competitive claims section of Misrepresentation:  https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020955?hl=en

"Promotions that contain the superlatives and comparatives "best," "#1," "better than," "faster than," or any other equivalent claims where that claim is not supported by third-party verification on the landing page"

We use #1 claims and have the appropriate backup to do so on our website and legally based on surveys, studies etc...  We have not had any issues with this approach.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Using #1 in Ads?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Thanks @PPCBossman

I found that as well a few minutes ago and it's the exact policy I was wondering about. Thanks for clarifying.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Re: Using #1 in Ads?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@JoyHawkins;

Regardless of the Policy section  in violation (or not), you can file a complaint. If there was a violation Google would find the appropriate section. You just need to  submit the form and mark / check: "An ad violates other AdWords policies"

https://support.google.com/adwords/troubleshooter/4578507?visit_id=1-636299400351191118-2483951422&r...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’