AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Use of lightbox on landing pages

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have checked the landing page policies, and while they do prohibit pop-ups, it does not specifically conver lightboxes  which is essentially an overlay on the current page instead of causing a new page load.While the overlay is displayed, the rest of the page content is darkened to focus the user on the overlay. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightbox_%28JavaScript%29

My question is, would lightboxes be allowed under the current policy, or do they fall under popups?

thanks

Greg

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Use of lightbox on landing pages

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Greg,

Welcome!

My question would be this...is there an action required to initiate the lightbox or is it automatic?  "Click here to view our video/gallery/photos/another page etc..(in a lightbox)" for instance.  I cannot fully confirm, because we just don't have ALL of the details regarding policies but I would guess that the latter (automatic) could be borderline...IMO, you never want to force anything on a user - it can lead to a poor experience.

It's really hard to tell exactly what the case is here but I appreciate you looking into this first. You're definitely taking the correct approach.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’