AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Use of lightbox on landing pages

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have checked the landing page policies, and while they do prohibit pop-ups, it does not specifically conver lightboxes  which is essentially an overlay on the current page instead of causing a new page load.While the overlay is displayed, the rest of the page content is darkened to focus the user on the overlay. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightbox_%28JavaScript%29

My question is, would lightboxes be allowed under the current policy, or do they fall under popups?

thanks

Greg

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Use of lightbox on landing pages

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Greg,

Welcome!

My question would be this...is there an action required to initiate the lightbox or is it automatic?  "Click here to view our video/gallery/photos/another page etc..(in a lightbox)" for instance.  I cannot fully confirm, because we just don't have ALL of the details regarding policies but I would guess that the latter (automatic) could be borderline...IMO, you never want to force anything on a user - it can lead to a poor experience.

It's really hard to tell exactly what the case is here but I appreciate you looking into this first. You're definitely taking the correct approach.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’