AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Use of GreenSock's TweenMax in AdWords ads (GSAP)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear AdWords support,

I’m writing on behalf of GreenSock seeking help in regards to your policy that dictates that all 3rd party libraries like our GreenSock Animation Platform (GSAP) need to be referenced locally in each ad. 

All code and assets must be referenced using a relative path to resources included in the .ZIP file. No external references are allowed except references to:

• Google Fonts
  • Google-hosted jQuery

GSAP is used on hundreds of thousands of sites, served from popular and reliable CDNs (including Google’s), and is by far, the most powerful and feature-packed animation engine for HTML5. From our position it appears that AdWords’ policy of forcing each ad to load their own specific copy of our tools (TweenMax.min.js) hurts load performance for everyone. We discuss the benefits of CDN caching in our recent article the kilobyte conundrum

We’ve contacted all the major ad networks and AdWords is the only one that still insists that GSAP's TweenMax can not be served from a reliable CDN. 

We would love to remove the red X that we have for AdWords in our chart: http://greensock.com/kilobyte-conundrum/

We propose that AdWords hosts GSAP on their own servers, or perhaps use the versions that DoubleClick is supporting in all their ads:

https://support.google.com/richmedia/answer/6307288

We are thrilled to have the support of DoubleClick and look forward to a similar solution from AdWords. We have a lot of users that use GSAP with AdWords successfully (thank you), but we would love to see a better solution in place that maximizes the benefits of CDN hosting. 

If this forum is not the place to discuss such matters, I would love to speak to someone who could help us understand what needs to be done to get GSAP hosted by AdWords or approval to use the existing DoubleClick CDN solution.

Thank you,

Carl Schooff

Geek Ambassador

www.greensock.com

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Use of GreenSock's TweenMax in AdWords ads (GSAP)

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Carl,

This community is for advertisers to get help with strategy and features within the AdWords interface.

Please fill out this feedback form for AdWords, and your proposal will get routed to the correct team.

Thanks!

Cassie

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Carl,

This community is for advertisers to get help with strategy and features within the AdWords interface.

Please fill out this feedback form for AdWords, and your proposal will get routed to the correct team.

Thanks!

Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Cassie. I will try the form.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I can't help it, but I simply need to respond to this discussion, even though Cassie directed Carl to the general feedback form. I must be one of the many users that are trying desperately to search for solutions for using GSAP in Adwords and thus, must be one of the many users that land on this post.

So here goes nothing:
As a passionate banner-builder AND GSAP user, I believe Carl's question to be a clear and desperate cryout to Adwords to get support for GSAP. The fact that this discussion is two weeks old and that there is no update, kind of worries me. In my world, there is simply no way to create a banner without GSAP, there is no tool better for creating animations. (Not GWD, not CSS, not the WebAnimation API, not anything, to be clear). Therefore, the only way to get GSAP into my AdWords banner, is to distribute a local variant of the library, that weighs something around 70 kB, into each and every banner. And I presume that many of my fellow adbuilders are doing the same. A waste of bandwidth, to my opinion, as we all could use the browsercache to reuse GSAP from the same CDN location.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Remco,

Thanks so much for taking the time to clearly voice your support of GSAP. It really means a lot to have some folks in our corner that are helping us get our message out. There are many like you with the same frustrations. I can't go into details or promise anything, but the good news is that the right people at Google / AdWords have reached out to us and have been extremely helpful.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am going to throw my 2 cents in here as well. First off, correct me if I am wrong, doesn't Google own Adwords AND DoubleClick?

DoubleClick allows for hosted libraries, so why wouldn't AdWords. I think Adwords needs to realize that we are in a POST FLASH world now, where libraries like GSAP, Jquery and AdobeEdge have significant file size that should NOT be counted. In Flash all that code was baked in, so you can get away with a lot. the IAB's latest spec recommends a 200K file size and that common libraries not be counted.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Good news at https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176108
Google-hosted Greensock is now allowed! Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That is the best news I've heard so far this year. Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wait... what? They added TweenLite, TweenMax, CSSPlugin, Easepack... but not the most essential parts of all to create timeline-based animations?

When can we expect "TimelineLite" and "TimelineMax" to make it into this list?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Once you load TweenMax.min.js you have access to TimelineLite and TimelineMax. No need to load them separately.

http://greensock.com/tweenmax