AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Uploaded images and stock images won't fit properly in the Image Ad templates, even after re-sizing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to create a basic "Image Ad" but am having issues when I upload my own images or insert stock images into the Image Ad provided templates. My images are being scrunched down and there is extra space to the right of the image that isn't filled, in multiple ad sizes. I've tried resizing my images based upon the guidelines here (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722096?hl=en) but I still cannot get the images to fill the entire space. I even chatted with someone via the help desk and they just told me to try a different image re-sizing tool. I tried a new re-sizing tool and the images still won't upload properly. I'm also curious as to why Ad-words won't stretch the image to fill each space. Please help me.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Uploaded images and stock images won't fit properly in the Image Ad templates, even after re-siz

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Meghan S,

The images won't be stretched out of proportion for the quality of the ad image. 

Can you provide the size and file type of the image you are using? Example: 654X595 photo.jpg

Are you making a full set of display images or one size only?

Full Set of Ad Sizes:

160X600

120X600

468X60

728X90

300X250

336X280

Check out this Google Help Site for general info and this Google Help File for helpful tips.  

Kind Regards,

James

Re: Uploaded images and stock images won't fit properly in the Image Ad templates, even after re-siz

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Am I able to make a full set of display images? It seems that it will only let me upload one picture per image ad, and I can just click through and see how that particular image fits on all the ad-sizes. Where do i specify which sizes I want, so it doesn't use every image size for ads?
My default JPEG photo size before I re-size it to fit the Ad restrictions is 5312 x 2988 at around 6MB. In the "Product" image upload area of the Ad, it says that the image must be 1.25MB or less so I use a JPEG compression tool to change the image to 1.09 MB, but it remains 5312x2988. That image will fill the "300x600" ad template but not the "336x280" or "300x250." I've also tried the option of resizing to without JPEG compression to a 229kb at 600x338. That image will also fill the "300x600" ad template but not the "336x280" or "300x250." So, what do I need to resize it to, to be able to fit the "336x280" or "300x250?" I'm trying to target the 300x250 size because i've read that's one of the best sizes for the highest click-through rate. Thanks in advance for your help!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Meghan S,

Yes, make the same ad in each of the different sizes. Then put them in the same ad group. Google will utilize them as needed, in the correct spaces supplied by the various web properties. This is not something you do or have to worry about. Just make all the ads in the correct dimension and adhere to quality standards.

You can use Google Web Designer or other software of your choice to make them and then you upload them. Keep in mind that ads have to be the correct dimension (and weight) and adhere to quality standards. Google is not going to auto resize ads that are close and squeeze them into place. You have to make the ads precisely the sizes listed below. Personally, I use Google Web Designer or Adobe Photoshop and make the sizes as presets, then I open each one and make the ad I want while keeping a consistent look to the ad set. 

Ad Sizes:

160X600

120X600

468X60

728X90

300X250

336X280

Check out this Google Help Site for general info and this Google Help File for helpful tips.  

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Kind Regards,

James