AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Unlawful Locksmith Advertiser In Oklahoma.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It seems that there is an unlawful advertisement offering locksmith services in Oklahoma City. The company advertising does not have an Oklahoma locksmith license, which is a requirement by state law and is a misdemeanor which is punishable by a $500 fine and up to one year in the Oklahoma County Jail (Oklahoma Title 59-43-1800.6). I have made complaints through Google Adwords complaint process but I have not had a response. 

I have verified with the State Of Oklahoma that the company "24 Hr Lockouts" is unlicensed. There is a company with a similar name "24 Hour Lockout Service (OK #1196)" That IS licensed but is NOT the advertiser who I filed the complaint against. The law is VERY clear and can be read here

http://www.ok.gov/odol/Workforce_Protection/Alarm_&_Locksmith_/index.html

The unlicensed locksmith's ad reads 

"  Lockouts As Low As 19.95 - 24hrlockouts.com

24Hrs 15Min ETA *No Car Keys Made* Oklahoma City #1 Locksmith  "

I would like to know what Google Adwords has to say about advertisers who are unlawfully advertising services that they are not legally allowed to perform. The advertiser's website says "If you are locked out of your automobile or home call (405) 593-8018 and you will be instantly connected with one of our friendly, local to Oklahoma City, contracted locksmiths who can give you an estimate as low as $19.95*."

Once again, Oklahoma law states in the "Alarm & Lock Chapter 205", (Pg 13,Section F, (2), "No individual licensed under this Chapter shall contract for his services as an independent contractor without applying for and being issued a company and manager license under this Chapter. No company shall contract for the independent services of a holder of an individual license under this Section.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Unlawful Locksmith Advertiser In Oklahoma.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Oklockout,

I also read your former query and Moshe's correct answer.

In a few cases like online pharmacies or gambling sites Google checks on licences before you can run an ad. My best guess is that in such cases the law rules that you cannot advertise your services unless you are licensed.

The weaker option is when the law only stipulates that you cannot provide paid services unless you are licensed. This type of stipulation applies to many dozens of trades in a great number of jurisdictions all over the world. I hope I will be wrong but I think that Google does not have the ambition to act as an arbitrator between disputing parties in various industries and trades unless there is a definite legal obligation the corporation is subject to. 

Based on the above I think your best option is to urge your Association or Chamber to seek professional advice from a legal practitioner specialsed in such cases. - This time, however, I hope I'll prove wrong and you'll receive a helpful answer from Google soon. 

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Chapter 205 defines a locksmith company. It can be found in the link I have provided. (See page 6)

(http://www.ok.gov/odol/documents/Chapter%20205%20Alarm%20And%20Locksmith%20Industry.pdf)

"Locksmith company" means a business that provides locksmithing to others by any means, including but not limited to, design, install, service, repair, re-key, re-pin, sell, inspect, rebuild, record, adjust, unlock mechanical or electronic locks or advertisement of locksmith services; holding oneself or one's company out for hire to perform any such task; or otherwise offering to perform any such task for compensation, either directly or indirectly.

I don't think it could be any clearer. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

Unfortunately, the text you quoted does not seem to stipulate the duties and/or liabilities of the advertising medium. Without that you may assume in good faith that all your paying clients comply with the law and if they don't the responsibility is theirs. 

I would like to state that I am not a lawyer and my posts in this thread are based on gut feeling and some experience. Don't take them for professional advice.

If you wish to know Google's official position you're advised to wait till you get an answer to the complaint you submitted via their online form.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So basically what you are saying is that Google plays by Google's rules. Laws are beneath Google and Google does what Google wants. I understand now. 

Oh, I see...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Lakatos wrote:

Hi,

Unfortunately, the text you quoted does not seem to stipulate the duties and/or liabilities of the advertising medium. Without that you may assume in good faith that all your paying clients comply with the law and if they don't the responsibility is theirs. 

I would like to state that I am not a lawyer and my posts in this thread are based on gut feeling and some experience. Don't take them for professional advice.

If you wish to know Google's official position you're advised to wait till you get an answer to the complaint you submitted via their online form.

Best,

Lakatos

So basically what you are saying is that Google plays by Google's rules. Laws are beneath Google and Google does what Google wants. I understand now. 

Re: Oh, I see...

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

From your own perspective you can probably put it that way if you please. I do appreciate it. However, it's not just Google. Please consider that you won't be able to sue a TV channel for damage, in connection with products featured in commercials broadcast by them. In most cases the advertiser himself is supposed to bear responsibility.