AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Unidentified AdWords account using our display url and beating our ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our (dutch) branded ads are losing impressions to ads for our website, served from a different AdWords account (one that is not made or approved by us). We're only losing impressions in certain regions of the country and were only able to find out about this 'third party' by performing a keyword diagnosis for our branded keywords, which told us that the QS is too low (it's 10) or that we're losing the impression to a higher ranking ad for a similar display URL. After that we used the ad preview and diagnosis tool to see what this other ad looks like. 

The ad looks similar to ours, but the description lines are not to be found in our accounts. We already filed a complaint for trademark infringement, as our brand name is trademarked in most countries. Nevertheless, I am still able to see this other ad appear when I search for our company name. 

what puzzles me is that the ads are valued higher than ours, since this is about branded keywords. We are scoring a 10/10 for QS and are using all possible extensions and descriptions, so I'm not sure what our next step should be.

Hoping to hear some great ideas from you all.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Unidentified AdWords account using our display url and beating our

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Do you run an affiliate scheme?

I started working for a company that had an affiliate scheme and many of the affiliates were bidding for branded traffic.  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply. We do work with affiliates, but they are not allowed to bid on our branded keywords. Also, there are no parameters/tags in the destination URL, so I'm guessing that they would not be able to link sales back to their interface.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi there;
Google does allow to bid on a competitor's name. What is not allowed ids to use your tarde-mane (if registered) within the ad-text
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi MosheTLV, they're using our trademarked brand name in the ad text, as well as the display URL (they're advertising for our domain without our permission).
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bart v
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Ours were not allowed either, depends on the affiliate but many are given a URL that resolves to your site without any tracking code.

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but if the advertiser is paying to send traffic to your site they must be making money. If you have affiliates then this is the most obvious, I've had this issue and I know its extremely frustrating to resolve!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Google does not check trade-name violation within the display URL
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mark, thank you for your insight. If the affiliate is somehow able to mask the tracking code then we have to dig in their statistics to find the possible culprit. Can you let me know how you ended up resolving your issue?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
We used a redirect plug in to track, I think it was called Firebug.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear all, I managed to find the ad in "real-life" using teleport.to (amazing site). As it turns out, one of the new publishers of an affiliate was using some kind of hidden redirect and was in fact getting paid a lot more than we spend on adwords.

Thanks again MarkPhillipsIT, for stearing me in the right direction! Smiley Happy