AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Understanding Advertiser Account Suspensions

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hi There!

I’m Piyush from the Ads Quality Operations team in Hyderabad, India. The aim of this post is to help you understand the most common reasons for account suspension.

Some of the most common scenarios in which an advertiser is suspended: -

1. Suspension due to a Policy violation, this includes: -

• Advertising Policy Violation

We have developed a set of advertising policies which we expect our advertisers to follow, continuous non-adherence to them may lead to a suspension. Suspended for policy violation? To find out what policy you may have violated you can refer to this post.

• Site Policy Violation

If we find a serious issue with your website or the business practice promoted via it, we can no longer run the associated ads and failing to fix these issues over time leads to your suspension. More infromation here.

• Malware Violation

We also suspend advertisers if we find malware on their associated website. You can find more information related to it here.

2. Suspension due to Unverifiable Billing information: -

• We periodically review accounts for security purposes and to verify billing information. Discrepancies, if any, may lead to a suspension. To learn more about billing refer here.

We take the above mentioned steps to make sure that our users are always shown only relevant, useful and clean ads and advertising on Google and our partner sites remains a fair and level playing field for all our advertisers.

Looking for the exact reason why you’re account was suspended? Find out how here.

If you believe your account was suspended in error? You can escalate the issue via this form.

Questions? Feel free to ask us under the policy category on the AdWords Community and a Top Contributor/member of the community will try to address your issue. You can also contact us via our various support channels.

Addition Resource! Find out more about our policies and how they affect your ads on our Adwords Policy Center.

Cheers, Piyush

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Understanding Advertiser Account Suspensions

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Thanks for this helpful and informative post Piyush!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your good info...Man Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Piyush, There is nothing new you have shared here. Could you please tell me one thing why is Google running business in India when it does not allow Indian merchants to run ads Internationally? Google puts accounts on review-review-review and suspend. That's all.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Dear Piyush,

A couple of months ago my Adwords account was suspended... After considerable effort on my part with documenting changes (approx. 70 pages at current) with numerous requests for review and every effort on my part to make necessary changes I now find that in order to get my account back I have to delete my websites....

This makes no sense and is deeply unfair... Can anyone please answer my question -"why should I delete my website?" as per: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/Why-should-I-delete-my-website/m-p/353506

Surely it should be possible to re-instate my account noting that

(1) the ads have been removed as requested
(2) Every effort on my part has been made to ensure my website is compliant (as informed that it is but a new issue is that the product website is now suddenly out of the blue is not!!)..

Appreciate any advice guidance on this matter...

Thanks,

Sid

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Hi Sid,

Your question was answered on the thread by our resident policy expert Moshe. Please refer to the post you have quoted.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Dear Shanea,

Thanks for writing in... I replied to Moshe's post and as such I totally 100% disagree with this... Why?

Well because there is no where within Google's policies which prohibits affiliate marketing and especially in regards to the business model that I use. In fact there are thousands of websites using Google Ads which use the same model with regards to bonuses...

The new reason which is being cited which is after solid months of making changes is that the product website is in violation which leave no option but to delete my website as I described...

This is deeply unfair when noting the amount of time and energy put into making changes as requested and then after a few months of real effort on my part to be told that it was all for nothing and now you have to delete your website... This is tantamount to sadistic behaviour... It would of been easier for all concerned to be told this from the beginning... and not have to waste months making changes.. My time spent on this has meant I have lost 2 months of income....

Surely now that I have demonstrated significant commitment and met criteria for all changes that I have been requested - it should be sufficient to remove the ad and website from the account and NOT delete the website...

I mean is Google now going to delete all websites which are on the organic SERP which promotes the same product... I think not and hence this is really beyond what most would consider ethical and fair....

I'm still in shock that Google demands that I delete my website after months of blood, sweat and tears to fix all issues raised and at the end to be told that this has been an exercise in futility as the product website is now found to be violating the policies...

What is unbelievable is that only a few days ago there where many other sites promoting the same products on Google Ads... Is it a coincidence that its been removed??? I think not....

Again I will say that despite my much respect for Moshe given his contribution here - you will see from my reply he is completely wrong and understandably given that he does not work for Google and hence can only speculate as he does not have access to customer data...

Respectfully,

Sid

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

As I have said in other posts I don't have access to your personal account information so I can not confirm what our support team has told you. However, the support team is the only team that has the ability to reinstate your account. Whatever the support team says is what the decision is. Also, in my personal opinion outside of Google I have to agree with @MosheTLV.  

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Dear Shanea,

Yes indeed I have followed the guidance of the support team from the very beginning e.g. change text here and there... change video, change book cover, add asterisk on testimonials wrt disclaimer, add disclaimer statement on image etc etc... So many changes I have made and every effort to follow the advice of the support team with provision of detailed documentation which now stands at 70 pages....

Regarding your opinion that you agree with Moshe is truly not fair... Especially as there is no policy which states that affiliate marketing is not allowed... Every effort has been made to ensure that my websites are compliant... If you really agree with Moshe then I feel its only fair that you provide the cited text from the policies proving that my business model is not allowed...

Further I will point out that the business model has never been cited as a reason to suspend my account... I really wish you had access to the customer data as you would see that I have gone to significant efforts to follow all of the advice and have put an extortionate amount of effort to resolve matters...

I'm sorry for being so blunt about things... and sincerely hope that you can understand my deep frustration at being treated like this...

Respectfully,

Sid
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

Moshe did not say the policy you violated was affiliates. You are allowed to use affiliate marketing as long as you follow the rules. Moshe says: Your business model violates the user safety section of the Policy and the advertiser claims section. 

Again I do not have access to your information and I want to assure you that the support team does what it thinks is best for our users. Like all businesses that advertise with us, businesses must comply with all our policies. We don’t allow businesses that we feel may pose a harm to our users. I referred your other post to our support team. Someone from the team should be contacting you shortly.