AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Ugh, so frustrating to use

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't want to spend hours setting up my campaigns only for AdWords to "Disapprove" them. Why the heck can't I use the "trademark" WordPress if I am a WordPress focused webhost? It was the only campaign so far that they approved - then denied.

The $100 AdWords Credit seems to be a waste of time, at this rate I'll never spend my $25 for the credit. Why can't I just give Google my money and they take care of showing my Ads?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ugh, so frustrating to use

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Ross F;

Well... This is not in the "hands of Google". This is the law.

WordPress is a registered trade name. As any trade name it is a proprietary of the trademark owner and can be used only if permitted by the trade-name owner.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I join this conversation because I find intriguing that even if WordPress as an organization does not allow the use of their trademark at all as specified clearly in their policy,  a search for "wordpress hosting" the page is full of approved AdWords ads using the trademark with no problem Smiley Happy

http://wordpressfoundation.org/trademark-policy/

"We do not allow the use of the trademark in advertising, including AdSense/AdWords."

I think you can spend your 25 USD of credit because some of the Ads use common abbreviations of WordPress in their AdWords Ads such as "WP" or "WPress" which users recognize as an equivalent of WordPress so you can obtain a targeted audience with abbreviations.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I did not want  to make my initial reply more "complex", however, if this point was raised, then I will  add  that WordPress is  released and licensed  under GPLv2 - free software foundation. Hence, WordPress  might be flexible in authorizing the use of their trade-name.

For that  an authorization request should be submitted, as explained in this link;

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2562645

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I have gone through this. WordPress in the ad text comes with 'Approved Limited' status. It means it is allowed in certain country and not allowed in others. 

There's no other way out for this to get it approved in the countries where it is not allowed by AdWords. WordPress as an organization does not entertain Trademark authorizations at all, at least it didn't work for my client. I have been through this. 

The best way is to go by the way of Display URL and in the countries where it's allowed. 

All the best!

Thanks
Ratan Jha

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager

Hi Ross,

Thanks for your post to the AdWords Community. I have a few suggestions on this topic.

First, I would suggest that you have your campaigns approved and ready to go before you apply your credit. This way you can get the most out of your campaign to spend the $25 in the limited time (if we are discussing the same credit offer). 

Next, I would suggest that you review our Trademark policy and review the ads you have created. Do you need to use the term Wordpress in your ad? Can you phrase your business in another way?

If your business / landing page is showing you are a dedicated reseller or informational site of the trademark term in question, and you are targeting your ads to Australia, New Zealand, the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, or Ireland, then you can use the trademarked term in your ad.

Finally, I would avoid using variations or gimmicky ways to get around this policy, as most Trademark owners also have these variations trademarked, and registered with is, and doing this could result in more disapprovals, and possibly suspensions. 

I hope this helps,

Kathleen