AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Trying to design a 300 x 250 display ad in Photoshop. I am having trouble getting it under 150k.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is is true that the ads must be under 150K in order to be approved?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
January 2017

Trying to design a 300 x 250 display ad in Photoshop. I am having trouble getting it under 150k.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @David H,

Yes, the size of the file matters. You have to lower the resolution and strip down the file but you can get it to the right file size in photoshop. You also may need to compress the image files and use smaller versions of them before pulling them into your ad. 

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @David H,

Yes, the size of the file matters. You have to lower the resolution and strip down the file but you can get it to the right file size in photoshop. You also may need to compress the image files and use smaller versions of them before pulling them into your ad. 

Kind Regards,

James

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

@David H

The easiest way to do this in Photoshop is to use the "Save for Web" feature. If your ad includes photographs or detailed images, you want to make sure you'e creating it as a .jpg. That is generally the most efficient file format for this purpose. When you select Save for Web, a new window will popup with that shows your ad. In the top right corner, you'll see a drop down button labeled "Quality."  Clicking on it will show a slider that will let you change it's value.  Values are 100 for highest down to 1 for lowest.  As you slide it down, look towards the bottom left corner of the window.  Here you will see the file size value. It will change accordingly to how you move the slider.  You should see that there isn't much difference in the ad going from 100 down to 60. Slide it until you're below 150k.

I personally keep my ads around 50k, and they look great. Generally that's a good target size for a static ad, and used to be the old limit. You really should only have it in the 100+ range if you have some sort of animation.