AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Trademarks and Resellers - Clarification Needed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently had some client ads disapproved for use of a tm'd term in the ads.  I am aware of the Adwords tm policies, but was under the impression that the client would in this case be considered a "reseller."

The term in question is for a type of fitness class, client is a fitness center offering these classes.. This is a US (small regional) campaign. The instructor is a certified instructor for the mark owner, the classes at this facility are "official" classes and also listed in the "find a class" search on mark owners own web site.  The landing page only mentions these classes, and the product name is referenced throughout the page as per the mark owner's terms of use.  The page asks people to sign up for a class, either via a phone number or an email form.  So per the reseller criteria:
"The ad's landing page is primarily dedicated to selling (or clearly facilitating the sale of) the goods or services corresponding to a trademark term."

and

"The product or services must be the primary focus of the ad's landing page. The landing page must clearly provide a way to purchase the product or services"

Disapproval reason was:

"====================
Disapproval Reason
====================
[Trademarks] Trademark in Ad Content or Keyword Insertion: Due to
trademark complaints, we don't allow advertisers to use certain
trademarked terms or elements in the content of their Google AdWords
campaigns unless they comply with our Reseller/Informational Site
policy.
"
Is there some reason this client would not fall under the reseller policy?  If not, why not?
Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Trademarks and Resellers - Clarification Needed

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

Only if the trade-name owner gave specific instructions for that  Geo region. (i.e  not to promote the trademark through resellers in that region)

You should contact Google, and clarify if the trade-name  owner gave specific instructions. Goole follows the trade-name owner instructions.

We had a similar case in the UK;

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-Approvals-and-Advertising/Trademark-Complaint-Erroneously...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply!  Very interesting - I read the UK case, and it does sound similar.  I didn't know mark owners could override Google's reseller/informational policies and didn't see anything about it on the trademark policy help page.

Will follow up with Google - the client is fine with not advertising those classes, but I would like to know what the issue was for future reference.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Please keep us posted - We have an interest in these type of cases... We did know either, that the trade-mark owner could apply further restrictions,.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Adwords Support replied that the ads and the landing page appear to be in compliance with their reseller policy.  They asked me to re-create and enable the ads (I had initially deleted them) and said they'd investigate further if they get disapproved again. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Great to hear that; Keep us posted