AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Trademark violation with the word Pilot. We are a pilot supply store.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are a pilot supply store and the word pilot is in our name. Google AdWords is rejecting the word Pilot due to a trademark violation. How can the word Pilot be trademarked and how do I get Google to stop rejecting it?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nashua P
September 2015

Re: Trademark violation with the word Pilot. We are a pilot supply st

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Ohhh... Sorry... Rereading your original post I see that you wrote "pilot supply store"...Smiley Embarassed

I had a "blackout" and read only "supply store.."

Anyway; you'll find that under your category - Pilot is still a trade-name, Run a search on the USPTO site.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello? Is anyone there?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello there;

We try to answer fast, but, though it's a Google property ; and Google specializes in an "internet speed" technology; "fast" does not necessarily mean "instant";Smiley Wink

As for your question: Pilot is a registered trade name by Pairotto Man-Nen-Hitsu Kabushiki Kaisha a.k.a. The Pilot Pen Co., Ltd

If you are an official resellerr you may use the "Pilot" trade name. Check this link for more info:

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?expand=reseller#reseller

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for getting back to me.

I guess I don't understand how the word "pilot" can be trademarked. To me it would be like someone holding a trademark on the word "auto" and no car dealers in the world can advertise their car dealerships. It seems too strict of an interpretation.

Since we do not have anything to do with selling pens, and the word "pilot" is in our legally registered name, what do we do to advertise our store?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again;

You said that you are in the business of office supply (Do I recall correctly?) So, I was looking at the US Patent and Trademark Office for the trade-name PILOT under this category;

In any case, there are hundreds of "pilot" trade names in different categories listed on the USPTO website.

How and why does the US Patent and Trademark Office authorize a name as trade-name? - You can find a reference to this in on the USPTO website. Google uses USPTO and other national trade-name registrants, as the source to determine trade-name ownership.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nashua P
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Ohhh... Sorry... Rereading your original post I see that you wrote "pilot supply store"...Smiley Embarassed

I had a "blackout" and read only "supply store.."

Anyway; you'll find that under your category - Pilot is still a trade-name, Run a search on the USPTO site.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay I will check that site. I guess if I can't use the name of our store, I will have to pass on advertising with Google.

Thank you!