AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Trademark use in keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have gond through most of the information I could find on the use of trademarks as bidding keywords in a campaign. However, what I have found to not be clear is whether or not it is possible for a trademark holder to completely block the use of their trademark as a bidding keyword?

There are some trademarks that I was looking to bid on (I don't plan on using it in the ad and I have read and understand the "reseller and informational site policy") but I have noticed that no ads appear when I search for that term. So, would that be because the trademark holder has blocked any and all use of their trademark or is it just that nobody is bidding on it/not following the rules?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by LauraAdEngineer (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Trademark use in keywords

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Tom

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm advertising in Canada/US. So to be clear, as long if I follow all other rules, no company, corporation or even google (well, according to their rules anyway) themselves can disallow bidding on any trademarked keyword?

Another detail, I've noticed that for the same terms, multiple ads appear in bing and yahoo. I guess I just found it strange that there would be no ads in google for that specific terms.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by LauraAdEngineer (Google Employee)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Tom

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

> So to be clear, as long if I follow all other rules, no company, corporation or even google

>(well, according to their rules anyway) themselves can disallow bidding on any trademarked keyword?

Correct, in the US, Canada, and most other countries.   Some countries disallow this, however.  The trademark policy page has the details.  And just for the record, trademark use in ad text is a lot more restricted.

Laura

AdWords review engineer

Hi First thing about the trademark...

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

First thing about the trademark depends upon the location where you are advertise your products or services. Google allow in some countries Like US advertisers to use the trademark Keywords. if you are loicated at that location and you are advertise your products or services at that loctaion then no problem about trdemark. For more details about the trademark you can learn about the Google Adwords Trademark polices. This is the Google Adwords Trademark Policy Link.

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6118&topic=1346940&path=1308252-2...

Thanks

Chander Kant