AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Trademark issue surrounding common term

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, I am setting up advertising for Car Workshop Manuals, such as;

BMW Workshop Manual

Citroen Workshop Manual

Audi Workshop Manual

I originally set these up with little TM symbols next to the car makers names.  These were rejected and I received the email about it.

Now when I remove the TM symbol they won't run.  My question is - why are others successfully bidding on the term and why can't I?  It seems to be haphazard as many many terms such as Audi Parts etc would be dissalowable?

I'm not competing with Audi and I very very much doubt 50 manufacutures have put a complaint in over 24 hours!  

So what gives?  Can I use "Audi Workshop Manual" or not?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Trademark issue surrounding common term

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Oh I did read the email that was sent! The only thing that I think would support the advert not being listed would be that the landing page doesn't sell anything directly. This is only because it links directly to other vehicles... I.e. people search for Audi Workshop Manual, land on my page then select Audi A5 manual THEN they buy from there...

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello;
These are registered trade-names. You need to get authorization from the trade-name owner to use them in the ad text;
Read more:
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
With respect that's a very simplistic answer, as on the page you quoted these are allowed:

Ad campaigns targeting the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, or Ireland may use a trademark in ad text if the ad is in compliance with our policy on resellers and informational sites.

Reseller and informational site policy
When such ads can show in these regions:

Resellers:

The ad's landing page is primarily dedicated to selling (or clearly facilitating the sale of) the goods or services corresponding to a trademark term.

(which it is)

Additonally, the product is listed by many, many others for sale.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again
Does your landing page comply? ("The ad's landing page is primarily dedicated to selling (or clearly facilitating the sale of) the goods or services corresponding to a trademark term.")

Can you share the URL, so we can have a look?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’