AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Trademark Policy related to OTAs

Rising Star
# 1
Rising Star

Hi Guys,

Is there anyone know how trademark policy works with OTAs in hotel industry

Reseller policy says 

"

• The ad's landing page is primarily dedicated to selling (or clearly facilitating the sale of) the goods or services corresponding to a trademark term.
    OR
    The ad's landing page is primarily dedicated to selling (or clearly facilitating the sale of) the components, replacement parts, or compatible products relating to the goods or services of the trademark."

Does this mean if I have a hotel ( Lets say abchotel.com) and one of major OTA (booking.com) use my hotel name in their ad text. Can i make a complain regarding this? or are they being approved through this reseller policy.

Any idea guys? cc @MosheTLV 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Trademark Policy related to OTAs

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Nisal,

As per the TM policy, ad text shouldn't contain TM terms, unless the TM owner approves it. You can complain to Google, if you see this policy in violation, using the TM form. I'd like to hear from Moshe on this!
Sumanth Sridhar
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nisal L
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Nisal L ; and @Sumanth Sridhar 

Well... In the travel industry, it could be more complicated.  Most hotel chains work with resellers  to sell inventories of  hotel rooms. The agreement between the hotel and the reseller could authorize the reseller to use the brand name, directly or by the reseller's distributors, e.g OTA... (Nor the reseller neither its distributors can promote and sell the rooms without using the brand name in the ads. This is an essential part of marketing hotel room.)

So, the question is how the rooms on the OTA website marketed - directly through the hotel chain, or through  a middleman - the reseller -  which signed a contract with the OTA.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Thanks for the reply. I know that's how things work on normal trademark
policy. What I wanted to know for sure is how it effect travel otas. Can
they use reseller option and use the trademark
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Thanks Moshe for the reply. I just had a chat with a Google rep to get this clarified. According to her if we "register" trademark with Google OTAs or other third parties will not able to use the TM.

However I agree with you on this. It should be more complicated than normal TM policy and I should discuss with the client and ask about the agreement between them and OTA.

Thanks for the help