AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Trademark??? Or household name? Kleenex....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My ad was just declined. Why? Because I had a Trademarked name in the Ad and on my landing page. 

My crime--using the word "Mac"   as in an Apple Computer to describe my computer repair biz. My ad read: "I am you local Windows and Mac repair guy"..

Interestingly...notice Google did NOT have a problem with the capitalized word "Windows". Come on Google really?? How the hell do I sell my service?????? What keywords are people entering? repair of my laptop with colorful apple on the lid?

Suggestions please?

Cheers,

John

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Trademark??? Or household name? Kleenex....

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi John

Have a look at this article (apologies if you have already done so).

Remember, it may not be Google who is restricting the use of the Trademark, but, and more than likely, the trademark owner themselves. 

Also bear in mind that the restrictions, placed by Google, on the use of Trademarks within AdWords, differs depending upon the ads geographical target - this is explained fully within the article I have provided a link to above. However, "Google will not investigate or restrict the use of trademark terms in keywords, even if a trademark complaint is received", although there is exceptions to this, again largely depending upon the geographical target market of the ad, and again, the above article explains same in full.

With regard to your specific ad, there could be a couple of ways around your problem - why not use "Apple" instead of Mac? In fact, Is it necessary to mention "Windows" and "Mac" at all - why not something like "Your local PC repair guy" or "All PC's repaired" - just a thought.

Anyway, best of luck with it and let us know how you get on.

Dave

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi John,

We only enforce trademarks when the mark holder has asked us to.  In some countries we do allow resellers, informational sites, etc. to use those trademarks as long as their use referrs to the actual trademarked product.  The trademark policy that David linked to has the details.

One caveat is that I'm not 100% sure that a computer repair service qualifies as a "reseller or informational site".  If your site doesn't qualify there, you could always use "Computer repair service" / "All brands repaired" or some such, as David suggested.

Note that in most countries you are allowed to use trademarks as keywords in your AdGroup even if you can't use them in the ad text.  There are a few countries that don't allow this, however.  Again, the page David linked to has the details.

Laura

AdWords review engineer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Often you can get a 3rd party reseller form which will then allow Google to grant you a certification to advertise on, check out here: http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6118&expand=auth