AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Trademark, Double Serving, and Adwords Express in a Franchise Setting

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are a large franchise with a nationwide Adwords buy.

Some of our franchisees are running their own local search ads - often without our knowledge. They can run these ads under the radar (without corporate trademark approval) by avoiding use of our brand name. 

I'm just now learning about Google's policy against double-serving. To my knowledge, we've never received any penalties for double-serving, even though there's a good chance it is happening since the entire franchise uses the same domain.

Our official corporate policy used to be: Don't run your own search ads because they'll be in competition with our national program and drive up costs. Again, this doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Another complication is Adwords Express. It appears that franchisees can run branded local ads using AWE, as long as they claim their G+ local business listing first. AWE seems like a nice, simplified solution for franchisees who want to supplement our national buy.

Question: Is there any downside to allowing franchisees to run local AWE campaigns alongside our national Adwords program?

• Would the national program really be in competition with the franchisee-run ads, since AWE ads are integrated with local results/maps, and the national ads are not? (We're not using location ad extensions at this time.)
  • If so, will the competition between corporate and local drive up costs in any meaningful way?
  • Will we eventually get penalized for double-serving ads?
  • Are there other consequences that I haven't mentioned?
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Trademark, Double Serving, and Adwords Express in a Franchise Sett

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome;

>>"Don't run your own search ads because they'll be in competition with our national program and drive up costs. Again, this doesn't mean it didn't happen."

Are you and the franchises targeting the same domain? Or  the franchises have their own "local" domain?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Isn't double serving just for "same owner" accounts? If you own two accounts and you have the same campaigns with the same URL in the ads that would be double serving because you will have more "bids" in the auction.

I don't think that if other account owners compete for the same domain it will be double serving

My understanding is that it is 1 bid per account per URL.

Not a 100% sure this is right but in previous conversations with Google support thats what they told me.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Yakito;

Double serving is not necessarily "same ownership"

Read the double serving Policy;

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2600168?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're all on the same domain.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

This is an interesting case;

By the double serving only one ad per the domain will be shown on the search results page; (SERP)

Whether their account is suspended - that depends on who owns it (= business address), and who pays the bills. If a franchise pays the bills and is the account's owner - the account probably will not be suspended.

But, as said, regardless of how many accounts target the domain only one ad will be shown on SERP.

So, if you and the franchise both target the domain, using the same keyword (assuming about the same QS), and (assuming) you both want to rank higher - the cost per click will, eventually, go up...