AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Toy Gun Image Ads Diallowed but Text and Keywords OK?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am working with a kids army website and some of their big sellers are toy guns, cap guns, fake military guns, water guns, ect.  

So for the most part I can bid on these keyword types and also have text ads with the words toy guns.  These are approved and ok.

But when I upload an image ad that says toy guns, those are denied per Google:

Functional devices that appear to discharge a projectile at high velocity, whether for sport, self-defense, or combat
(Note that we err on the side of caution and apply this policy to sporting or recreational guns that can cause serious harm if misused, or that appear to be real guns.)
  • Examples: Handguns, rifles, shotguns, hunting guns, functioning antique guns, airsoft guns, paintball guns, bb guns

But my products are toys and are not functional and do not discharge projectiles?

Here are 3 examples of disapproved ads

So both ads with toy guns as text and ads with just an image of a toy gun are being disapproved. I understand Google policy but really these products do not fire but I guess the "appear to be real"

How can I side step this?  Make an ad without "guns" as the text and include guns that do not appear to be real? (like the blue one above) or will those ads get disapproved too?  

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Toy Gun Image Ads Diallowed but Text and Keywords OK?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Thomas R;

My guess; the ads which were approved were mistakenly approved. Toy guns as paintball guns are not allowed.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Toy Gun Image Ads Diallowed but Text and Keywords OK?

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager
Hi Thomas,

I wanted to add to Moshe's information and bring up the fact that airsoft guns are explicitly not allowed to be advertised per the policy that you quoted above. The full page can be found here: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6014299?hl=en

Best,
Elizabeth