AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5K members online now
5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Tobacco Violation not Enforced for Tobacco

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How does an ad on google:

1. 1st Class Cigar Humidors
    www.1stclasshumidors.com/‎

That links to the URL below, that sells cigars

http://www.premiumhumidors.com/shop/cigars/gurkha-on-sale-now-/gurkha-vintage-shaggy-churchill.html

Not violate the google TOS?  They have never removed the ad from numerous complaints.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tobacco Violation not Enforced for Tobacco

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Nick,

Thanks for getting in touch. I've sent along the site to our policy team for review.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It's over a month later and this site is still selling tobacco products. Is Google simply picking and choosing who they approved based on the amount of money the vendor is paying for their ads?

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Melissa,

Nick actually just posted this thread yesterday; our dates on threads display like day-month-year.

An account's spend has no effect on application of our policies. We try to enforce them fairly across the board.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If that's the case then why aren't companies like Alibaba and eBay having their sites shut down from AdWords when they both clearly list all sorts of tobacco "alternatives" such as eCigarettes on their sites?

Alibaba search showing they currently sell e cigarettes 8/8/14

Google search showing Alibaba still using Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I also had links showing eBay searches just like the Alibaba ones and they weren't allowed in my response...why?

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
Hi Melissa,

Not sure why you'd have trouble posting additional links in that reply. But it sounds like you wanted to report Alibaba and eBay, so I've passed along those to our policy team to review. If you come across any more, feel free to let us know (here's a form where you can do it too: https://support.google.com/adwords/troubleshooter/4578507?rd=1#ts=6006595)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've reported them on more than one occasion. Just reported them again....let's see if they get suspended. My guess is they will NOT.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The problem is PEOPLE are deciding who gets approved, and who does not.

I just had my account terminated for advertising "eLiquid" when there is nothing in the TOS prohibiting eLiquid. Support just tells me that it was a tobacco violation.

Nothing in my ad was violating policy.

google 1.jpg

If "e-liquid" is not allowed, then why are there SIX paid advertisers right now (including eBay and Yahoo).   In addition, in the TOS it does state that Electronic cigarettes are not allowed.  Check those six links and you will find that almost every single one sells electronic cigarettes...plain as day...on the site.

Now my site, ONLY has eLiquid.  No ecigs, no ads for eCigs, ecig parts or anything else.   Only flavored liquid in small bottles to refill your vaporizer, pen, ecig, or whatever you use.  

According to the TOS for Adwords:
"Google AdWords doesn't allow the promotion of most tobacco or tobacco-related products. The promotion of tobacco or tobacco-related products includes cigarettes, cigars, tobacco pipes, rolling papers, electronic cigarettes, and e-cigarette cartridges."

Yet I loose my account while all these other companies are allowed to advertise (including eBay and Yahoo).   I'm finding it hard to believe this is not driven my the account spending.   I'm sure eBay pays Google very well for the ads.   Now if you or I would try to advertise tobacco no Adwords or eBay, the account would be suspended.   Amazing that the Adwords link on Google links to a TOBACCO item on eBay!!   HOW?

google-tob.jpggoogle2.jpg

google-ecig.jpg

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Everyone,

I'm also working as an Policy Compliance Specilaist in an E-commerce.
People here working on products frequently comes and ask why to mark tobacco lighters, ashtrays as non compliant under Google policy.
With due respect, I would like to ask Policy people, why we see PLA or big merchants with selling tobacco, weapon products.
It becomes very difficult to make people understand for me why can't we sell and how come others are selling??

Could somebody help??

Thanks in advance.