AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

The future of the ad experience

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi!

Just a thought for discussion.

Very recently Youtube implemented a new system to keep the user experience on Youtube great for everyone, called Youtube Heroes.

https://youtube.googleblog.com/2016/09/growing-our-trusted-flagger-program.html.

Google is all about making the user experience great for everyone using their services, and the current feedback system for adwords is not good, and really outdated. Many bad sites stay up for months because Google does not have the capacity to handle all the requsest.

Will a change come or is Google making too much money from the ads that changing this up could hurt them financially? Is there any plans on making a similar system for the adwords feedback process? What do you think?

Stan

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I doubt allowing a similar mechanism for a competitive auction would work to be honest. There's absolutely no incentive to not join the program and report your competitors. It's very susceptible to a sybil attack so for that reason, I can't see it working. 

Re: The future of the ad experience

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@Dave_Davis

I see your point, but isn`t the feedback system today based on the public reporting ads that are misleading, phising etc? The same way the public wold report youtube videos. They just made reporting videos easier and rewarding.

Also one of the biggest complaints from big youtubers is the fact that anyone can flag videos, competitors as well.

The adwords system is much harder to understand for the common person using the service. I don`t see it as a bad thing for the consumer and the advertiser running legit ads that the feedback system was easier to use and understand. For example, there could be a "report this ad" button on the ad. However I strongly believe that Google is somewhat afraid of messing too much with the current model as the revenue from bad ads are still coming through, without consequence.

Stan

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I would disagree there Stan

Google does an incredible amount of work behind the scenes on ad quality. They've invested a massive amount in the area over the years. I know because I've been using AdWords a really long time and I see the difference. 

Granted, some bad eggs do slip through but compared to what it used to be, it's orders of magnitude better now. I can't speak for Google but I believe that this would be more hassle than it's worth. There is already a facility to report ads and there's a process. 

Considering how many people don't understand the policies (or don't bother to read them) as it is, allowing anyone to easily report an ad they don't like and forcing it to be reviewed doesn't seem like the best use of the reviewers time. Also, remember that all ads are manually checked (I think) so it is indeed rare that bad ones get through. 

Finally, I would disagree that there is no consequence for bad ads and advertisers. Just look at the plethora of "account suspended" posts on this very forum and you'll see that Google takes this very seriously and rarely gives second chances. 

With due respect, I think this is a solution looking for a problem.