AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

The GREATEST ADWORDS BLUNDER !!!!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I wrote a blog 2 months ago exposing this #AdWords Blunder - PLEASE FIX bit.ly/StKzAi

What is happening is that if you type in the name of your hotel – i.e. Victoria Park Hotel Fort Lauderdale

Google Ads like this pop up in the Google AdWords section – and if you refresh the page you will notice the address and phone change – so for a guest using google searching for our hotel, they see a completely wrong phone number and address,  this has to stop, you are misleading the public by showing wrong information, I don’t mind the same name, which is through dynamic keyword insertion, everyone does it, but to allow advertisers to continue insert the wrong ad extensions is wrong. I can show 100’s of examples of this for a variety of hotels, imagine a guest arrives, Google’s our name and takes a taxi to the wrong place, this needs to be stopped.

Take a look below - all three addresses are wrong, everytime I refresh the page, another address and phone number comes up, The blunder is how can Google allow an Expedia affiliate to add an extension that is clearly wrong and seemed to be gaming the system ?

Adwords Ad

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: The GREATEST ADWORDS BLUNDER !!!!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Victoria P
This is actually done my the advertiser. Not Google.
Is this your campaign?

If you look at the extensions tab in this campaign, then select location extensions, you will see that you have added all the locations from your Google Places account.

If these are not related to the campaign, you should remove them and leave the only one that is related.

Alternatively, you can set up a custom campaign for each location and add ONE (the correct one) location extension to that campaign.

Hope that helps.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi VP,

I'm going to mostly echo Dave's remarks here. These ads are mostly under control of the account managers for onetime.com. If this is not your account, there are a couple of options (I'm guessing it's not because they're promoting numerous hotels).

As you recognized, they're using heavy DKI in these ads. So the problem here really could be a trademark issue (Highly depended on many factors including location). If you're unhappy with this advertiser using the name 'Victoria Park Hotel' and you have the rights to the name, you can make a claim through Google and if they see the problem, those ads could be taken down. It's perfectly acceptable to bid on a trademarked term, but not to use it in ad copy without permission.

As far as your posting here and on your blog...I honestly don't think you fully understand what's happening - as Dave suggested, this was/is likely planned (to some point) and is potentially a quite large account with lots of dynamic creation happening. Why would someone add in UK language in an ad for a hotel in Florida?  This may also be due to the way you're searching with the ad preview tool as well. The addresses in these ads are actually for other hotels/motels - in a rotation based on your search query that included Ft Lauderdale or somewhere close. 

This all seems a bit confused to me but I don't think it has anything to do with Google or AdWords at all. You should talk with the folks at onetime.com and examine what your arrangement is with them.  If that doesn't help, you can always try and see if there are any policy violations you can explore. Then, perhaps you could run your own ads, maybe?

Good Luck!

-Tommy 

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Obviously, you know about trademark issues and OTA's operation etc...

http://www.blueinteractiveagency.com/seo-blog/2014/02/google-and-online-travel-agents/

After browsing this and your other blog articles....I'm even more confused. What is the ideal result from this "biggest blunder"? What would you like to see happen?

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’