AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Switching domains in the same account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey all,

Hope this is the proper section.

I am starting a process of changing domains in my adwords account.

My questions regarding Google's policy is:

1. can i run 2 different domains in the same account?

2. if so will i be showing twice for the same Geo targeting (same keyword)? or be bidding against myself?

I'm reluctant to open a new account, i want to save my account history but at the same time i want to keep my ongoing performance without causing to much changes that will end-up effecting the results.

Thanks,

Eyal.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Switching domains in the same account

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Eyal,

Running campaigns with different domains (within the same account) isn't a policy violation. However, if the campaigns are targeting same locations. similar keywords would compete with each other. There are chances of showing both of your ads but you'd lose out CTR for one, if the other performs.

If I may ask, what's your objective behind switching domains?

- Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Switching the domains is the objective but i cant just throw all the old ads and replace them with new ads, copy, creative.

I want to do it gradually and in as less as possible way to disturb the day to day results i still need to deliver.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Eyal,

You can have more than one domain in an account. The restriction comes at an ad group level. You are not able to have to 2 different domains within a single ad group.

This is where the issue comes in, however, as you are able to change the destination URL of the Keywords in an ad group and thus retain your ad history, but this will not work for 2 different domains within that ad group.

The one option is to change ad groups day by day, the other is to simply change all your ads at once. You will, however, have to change all the ads in an ad group to the new domain. Furthermore, you will have to remove (delete) the ads with the old domain and not just pause them (paused ads are still checked for ad approval and violations and thus will trigger for 2 different domains within an ad group).

Starting with new ads is not as bad as you might think, it is certainly better than building a new account and even an account restructure which can be destructive in the short run.

I would suggest choosing a few ad groups of various performance levels. Changing all of them to the new domain, evaluating performance and then make a call from there. If performance remains constant or recovers very quickly then you should be able to roll out the changes en masse with little worry.

Hope this helps!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
My opinion: the easiest would be redirect 304 to the new landing page, until you finish setting a new ad-group, and then pausing the current one.
This way you let the system "know" (in advance) about the plan to change a domain, and don't lose the account history.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @MosheTLV

correct me if I am wrong here, but wouldn't a 304 mean that it is going to the exact same page but with a different domain? So he would need to make sure that the pages are exactly the same. Not familiar with 304 at all, so my understanding could be wrong.

But that being aside, it has just dawned on me that he would still need to change the display URL, as the destination URL and the Display URL need to match after all redirects. So the ad history will still be reset as he will need to make a change to them.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Guys,

I agree with Clynton, you cant just redirect the LP's to a new domain, it work for a wile but eventually the ads will get disapproved because of the display/destination URLs.
Further more Moshe, i think making changes to existing ads-LPs are bad practice.
Google scans the LP's and if they work poorly pausing an ad and creating a new one with a new LP is best.

In any case to our point here, im running multiple campaigns on multiple geo locations. i want to make a change but the creatives are a little different and i dont want to do it at once because i cant tolerate drastic changes in performance.
i need a solution that will gradually make the changes even if its paying more to run both domains simultaneity for a while until the new one is stable and performs.

Thanks,
Eyal.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I might have been misunderstood:

@Clynton M ; the OP (Eyal) said: >>"starting a process of changing domains in my Adwords account"... No reference to changing the content...

As for the display URL - this eventually will have to be changed.

But my point was different: and is intended to address OP's concern: >>"i want to make a change but the creatives are a little different and i dont want to do it at once because i cant tolerate drastic changes in performance".

my point: Instead of "instantly and under time pressure"  - to  start changing all ads, change ad-copies, and wait until approved, - use a redirect in the web site code, for a transition period.  During this period to set, at your convenience with "no pressure", new adgroups, with new ad-copies, approve them (paused ads are checked), and only then, activate the new ad-groups and pause the current ones.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok cool, so my understanding of 304's was correct then? Just needed to check on that one.

I am still a little unclear on the advantages of that though. Would it not be the same to create new ad groups and ads, have them paused and instead of using a 304, point them directly to the new domain?

You mentioned letting the system 'know' in advance that you are changing domains. I am just trying to grasp how this would maintain history. I am assuming it has to do with the 304, and that tells the system that it is the exact same content, thus history should be 'transferred' or something along those lines?

I have never had to transfer domains before, so understanding this would be most helpful (and pretty cool to know).

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Clynton M ; Corect;

I like to compare Adwords to any physical system in nature that follows a "behavioral modeling". Instant  / "step changes applied  are not actions / measures  these systems  would prefer, since it instantly transforms the system from one "steady state" to another, with no transition.