AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Suspension - unfair response time to fix errors?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

Sharing an outstanding issue I'm facing, and feeling utterly frustrated over a suspension I feel is unjustified.

I'm a new advertiser with google, I've just started advertising a single real estate site marketing 3 properties. I set up 3 campaigns, 1 each per property. Due to inexperience, I had different advertised URLs and destination URLs (which I am now aware is in violation of adwords policies.)

The campaigns were set up on 07 Jan 2013 . I received the automated emailed telling me my ads were not approved, and I spent some time figuring out what went wrong (gaming was mentioned in the emails), and fixed all 3 campaigns by 08 Jan 2013.

To my suprise I was suspended for "violations" on 09 Jan, for issues I had already fixed the previous day. Calls in to the hotline and appeal channel amounted to nothing. I quote the adwords support latest email

"Google AdWords account has been suspended due to multiple  disapprovals. Upon review, we've determined that this account suspension was made in accordance with AdWords policy" 

My frustration stems from the following -

1. I had fixed the violations by the next business day.

2. The helpline could not put me through to the ad approval team, who could possibly exercise discretion.

3. On my first call, I had asked for any assistance understanding the specific issue that got me suspended on 09Jan, if there was indeed lingering issues I have to fix. No help or information was forthcoming.

I'm still awaiting a response to my email to adwords support. Posting this in the hope I can get google's eyes on this matter. Appreciate a response, it's been almost a week since my suspension. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Suspension - unfair response time to fix errors?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

Before we can proceed :

1. Please share your website URL
  2. How many ads were disapproved - In the disapproval email about these ads,  there  was a reference to the Policy clauses violated. What "Ad texting"  policy clauses did you violate ?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

To follow with Moshe, it would be interesting to see if there are any violations in the website you tried promoting and got suspension from Google.

You said that:

"The campaigns were set up on 07 Jan 2013 . I received the automated emailed telling me my ads were not approved, and I spent some time figuring out what went wrong (gaming was mentioned in the emails), and fixed all 3 campaigns by 08 Jan 2013."

If you could elaborate on this gaming issue which you have posted here, Community can specifically address it.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you both for your replies, here are the details filled in.

As mentioned I had 3 campaigns on for 3 projects, similar circumstances for each campaign. Here's one of them.

My main site is http://housinglaunch.com/bartley_mount_vernon/ . Initially I had a domain www.bartleymountvernon as my advertised URL, and my destination URL was set to http://housinglaunch.com/bartley_mount_vernon/ . This is what I understood to be the violation, as the URLS don't match.

Quoting from the adwords email:

Disapproval Reason
====================
[Display URL] Inaccurate Display URL: Your Display URL must accurately
reflect the URL of your website. Please follow the guidelines below.

I received 3 of these emails within a day, 2 for this campaign and 1 for a second campaign. 

As of 08 Jan, I had set http://housinglaunch.com/bartley_mount_vernon/ as both the advertised URL and destination URLs. (The other 2 campaigns naturally had their respective www.housinglaunch/.... URLs)

On 09 Jan I received 1 email for 1 of my campaigns, with the same violation despite having already changed the URLs the previous day.

Quoting again:

"We wanted to alert you that one of your sites violates our Advertising Policies .........   The name of the policy is: Gaming"

This was swiftly followed by the suspension.

For clarification, I've not made any changes to the content of the pages on the main site since this suspension, although www.bartleymountvernon.com is now it's own wordpress site.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

As I suspected....

Ad disapproval rarely leads to suspension. You are required to fix. While advertising websites prohibited by the Policy - leads to immediate suspension. - In your case violating the gaming and lottery section of the Policy.

What gaming site are you advertising?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Not literally gaming as in gaming and lottery. My site, as I have stated, is real estate. 

Gaming as defined here.

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en_GB&answer=2755171

I have no code to cloak or game google. It's a straightforward wordpress site.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello,

Have you written to the Adwords support on this issue?

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/8206/?hl=en&hlrm=en&

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes I have, once through the support link you posted, once after i followed a link in the email to appeal my suspension. I also replied via email to the intial phone support person who logged my case. 

Received no reply from the first 2, and received only an unhelpful email from the phone support declining to provide any reasons or assistance.

Really seeking a way to get past this unhelpful and opaque "support" wall adwords has in place.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Google bots do not come with violation of " cloaking or game" out of the blue;

Check with your site programmer, that those techniques are not used, (or have been used in other campaign) on this account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am certain the site does not contain any malicious code. Or code designed to trick google's bots. It's a wordpress site with barely any plug-ins, all of which were downloaded via wordpress.

I reproduce an email from adwords support.

"Hello Sir,

Thank you for your email to  Google AdWords.

As mentioned in our previous email, your Google AdWords account has been suspended due to multiple  disapprovals. Upon review, we've determined that this account suspension was made in accordance with AdWords policy and procedure. For this reason, we aren't able to revoke your account suspension and won't accept advertisements from you in the future. "

Please note the bolded text. I have given the details of what happened in my previous messages. There is simply no attempt to contravene adwords policies (or as you have amazingly suggested, run a "lottery / gaming" website.).

I believe the suspension was in error, a simple human error. Still awaiting an official response, thank you.