AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Suspended for "Spam Techniques"

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Guys,

My site just got suspsended according to the Spam Policy. (Site is OzSocial [dot] com [dot] au)

Firstly, I'd like to make it clear that I DO sell Facebook Likes, Twitter Fans etc, and I perfectly understand why they COULD be considered spam. There are a lot of companies out there that have software bots, or have a network of users who they use to make the purchased page more popular. This mentality actually prompted me to form our business, because we wanted to find a way to deliver real FB Likes who were actually interested in the page.

What we do is we offer our clients access to our advertising network until they reach X Likes or X Twitter Followers. We've got agreements with a number of large Aussie websites (news, entertainment etc), and we display our customer's Facebook page details in the sidebar of the sites. As a web designer, I've been using this for my own clients for a few years and it works great. That way, only the people who are actually interested in the page hit the Like button, and users are in no way forced to Like the page. I've used this technique for clients as big as TV channels, and they've all been happy with the work.

Because of this, I honestly don't believe this is spam. Spam is in-voluntary, whereas our techniques are entirely voluntary. Furthermore, they aren't fake, and only users who are truly interested will follow the page. We're just making the page more accessible. We're also an Aussie Registered Business.

Thus, I'd greatly appreciate it if the Google Team could please re-review the site. I understand perfectly why the site was automatically flagged, but I would appreciate a re-review manually.

EDIT: I have tried contacting AdWords to no avail. I'll try chatting or calling in during business hours though.

EDIT2: Also, I've spoken to countless Google Reps on the phone/over Chat prior to launching my campaign (discussing suitable budget etc) who all viewed my site, but never brought this issue up.

Thanks guys.

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Suspended for "Spam Techniques"

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello AWords_OzSocial and welcome to our community;

I don't think that we should get into the "legal definition" of spam, since the The Policy language on this is clear, and your site evidently does NOT comply with the Policy;

A few examples of violations. ( I am quite certain that there are more:...):

• Google doesn't allow, for example, services that offer a fixed price for a fixed package of traffic/hits/page views. These types of programs usually promise "real users" or "targeted users," though most don't explain where the users come from, meaning that they most likely use illegitimate means to generate the hits.
  • Google doesn't allow the promotion of sites that spam social network sites to inflate a site's ranking or popularity.

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=50424

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Moshe, thanks for your quick reply. I appreciate what the Policy says but I just wanted to seek some clarification from a Google team member.

For the first policy, we do publicly state where the Likes/Followers come from, and are able to justify how they are legitimate. True, we offer a fixed price for hits, but the user is actually purchasing the advertising of their page that we will sustain until they reach X hits.

For the 2nd policy, I think the keyword there is spam. By advertising the page to real users, it's no different from anyone going on Facebook and hitting the Like button. If a user is genuinely interested, it isn't really spam nor artificially inflating popularity.

Of course, those are just our opinions of the policies and that's why we'd like to clarify them.

We're not out to scam anyone, and we decided to launch this company to change this industry and make it more legitimate. That's pretty much why we're upset.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again AWords_OzSocial;

I think we are again getting into the interpretation of "spam". While your interpretation is legitimate, Google's one - is the one that rules, and we must follow Google's  / definition/ interpretation for "spam".

Your site and business practice does not follow "Google's rules of the game". Thus, it cannot take part in the tournament...Smiley Sad

Eric, this Community manager, marked my previous answer as "the answer" for this discussion. I think, we "are set on that" from Google's perspective.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager
This three year old thread has been closed to new replies.